Burrows Scores Twice To Help Canucks Defeat Coyotes


By Kevin Woodley

Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

(ISN) – VANCOUVER — Several scoring slumps ended in the Vancouver Canucks’ 7-1 win against the Arizona Coyotes at Rogers Arena on Monday.

Alexandre Burrows scored twice to end a nine-game goal drought, Chris Higgins scored for the first time in 10 games, and Daniel Sedin scored his first in six games to help Vancouver avenge a lopsided loss against Arizona earlier this season.

Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Sedin scored in the first period. Brad Richardson scored to make it 4-0 at 1:41 of the second period to chase Arizona goaltender Mike Smith after 11 shots.


Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

Burrows scored his second on a power play midway through the second period, and Chris Higgins and Shawn Matthias rounded out the scoring with power-play goals 2:24 apart in the third period against the Coyotes’ 29th-ranked penalty kill.

Ryan Miller made 38 saves for the Canucks (20-11-2), who have won two straight after snapping a five-game losing streak against the Calgary Flames on Saturday.

Arizona defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored a power-play goal for the Coyotes (11-18-4), who have one win in eight games heading into their game Tuesday against the Edmonton Oilers. Devan Dubnyk made 26 saves on 29 shots after replacing Smith.

The Coyotes won 5-0 in Vancouver in mid-November and had shut out the Canucks in three of their past four games.


Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

Burrows, who played on the fourth line for a second straight game, scored his first of the game at 6:34 of the first period. His shot from below the goal line went in off the glove of Coyotes defenseman Michael Stone, who was attempting to tie up Canucks forward Derek Dorsett at the side of the net.

Arizona had a chance to tie it on consecutive power plays midway through the period, but couldn’t solve Vancouver’s third-ranked penalty kill before Bieksa stepped out of the box and into a 3-on-2 rush. Bieksa took a cross-ice pass from Henrik Sedin and beat Smith between the legs with a wrist shot from the faceoff dot.

Daniel Sedin banged a rebound between Smith’s legs with 42 seconds left in the first period for his eighth goal.

Richardson beat Smith cleanly over the glove off a rush early in the second to end the Coyotes goalie’s night. It was his eighth goal.


Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

Smith, who watched Dubnyk start the previous three games, came into the game with an .889 save percentage, last in the NHL among goalies with more than 10 appearances. He has lost four straight starts, giving up 16 goals on 92 shots over that span.

Dubnyk made three good saves before Burrows scored his second goal of the game, eighth of the season, as the net-front presence on a power play. Burrows banked a rebound in off the glove of Coyotes defenseman Zbynek Michalek after Dubnyk had robbed him on his initial shot.

Ekman-Larsson scored his third goal in four games, beating Miller with a glove-side wrist shot after the Canucks goalie slid too far left to right. It was the first power-play goal allowed by Vancouver since a 4-3 overtime loss to the Ottawa Senators on Dec. 7.

Higgins got that back on a Canucks power play 7:09 into the third period, one-timing Linden Vey’s pass from behind the net under Dubnyk’s pads from the top of the crease.


Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

Matthias converted a backdoor pass from Richardson on another power play 9:33 into the third period.

The Canucks finished 3-for-6 on the power play. The Coyotes have allowed at least one power-play goal in nine of their past 10 games.

About the only bad news for the Canucks on Monday was the pregame announcement that forward Jannik Hansen, who collapsed on the bench after taking a hit Saturday, would not play for precautionary reasons.


Derek Cain Photography www.derekcainphotography.com

Hansen took the morning skate after spending Saturday night in the hospital for observations. He planned to play, but the Canucks announced before the game that “further evaluation is required before he is cleared to play. Despite all tests being reported as normal, additional tests were ordered in the best interests of Hansen’s health and safety.”