Pred Nation is enjoying the view from the top of the NHL standings after last night’s 3-2 overtime win over the Dallas Stars. Now, that and $3.11 will get you a venti at Starbucks, but it is kinda fun to talk about. Hidden in all the euphoria? Another injury.
Ryan Ellis went down last night, leaving the game in the second period, not to return for the evening.
No more word that “lower body injury” … he will be reevaluated today. Add him to the list that include Eric Nystrom, James Neal, Matt Cullen and Taylor Beck. So… that merits a look at the Milwaukee blueline to see who might be the best call up…
If you are looking for size, Jonathan Diaby is 6’5” 246, Johan Alm is 6’3” 206 or Joe Piskula, also 6’3” and 211. If you are looking for experience… Ian White maybe? Give a kid a chance? How about Jimmy Oligny or Taylor Aronson? Big Jon Diaby may be the right call… the 21 year old is racking up the PIM’s (70 in 22 games) and a little more size in the Preds lineup would be a good thing. Not much from a scoring perspective, but Josi and Weber seem to be handling that part just fine.
Decisions will get made over the next few hours as the team prepares to travel to Minnesota for their Saturday afternoon matinee. The Wild are coming off a loss to the Blackhawks last night and are floundering badly. Their horses are not doing what they are paying them for and their goaltending is mediocre to flat out bad sometimes. Mike Yeo may not have enough rants in him to wake this team up.
And here are your highlights from last night’s game courtesy nhl.com;
– What is it about sports teams in Dallas and officials just getting the calls wrong? After the ridiculous calls (or non-calls) made on Sunday in the NFL Wild Card playoffs, last night’s wave off of Forsberg’s goal was simply insane. You knew the longer the discussion went, the worse it was for Nashville.
– The stars do seem to be aligning (no pun intended) as Nashville holds the Western Conference lead with two games in hand over Anaheim and a game in hand over Chicago and St. Louis.
– Miikka Salomaki’s first NHL goal was a big one! Nice fundamentals shown by the kid… in almost every sport you are taught to follow our shot… that is what led to his goal.
– The stars were out last night as Chip Esten and Vince Gill sat in with Small Time Rock Stars during the intermissions and more members of the Nashville cast were in the house.
– Nice salute to Roberto Luongo last night in Vancouver.
– Good lord… the Blues have pasted 14 goals in two games on the San Jose Sharks. Cue the “coach is in trouble” stories in San Jose.
– Five games on the NHL schedule tonight – Islanders @ Devils, Blue Jackets @ Maple Leafs, Sabres @ Lightning, Panthers @ Flames, Blackhawks @ Oilers.
You are invited to follow me on Twitter. Search for @PredPAPaul… Not only will I be updating when I get news or updates, but we are having a bit of fun by getting your input on Gnash introductions, weigh in on Twitter and who knows, we may use your introduction for the best mascot in the NHL at the next Preds game! You can also keep up with all the goings on with SlapShot Radio by following the show on Twitter @SlapShotRadio1
Also… make sure to “like” SlapShot Radio on Facebook… here’s the link.
SlapShot Radio is back every Wednesday at 7pm on 102.5 the Game and the SlapShot Radio Network…. Our Winter Premier is Wednesday night… Our premier, day one sponsor is Dr. Jane Bacon at Hermitage Family and Cosmetic Dentistry … make your appointment at 615-872-7762.
We are also welcoming back The Wine Shoppe at Green Hills and Burger Republic to the SSR fold!
Want to be part of the SlapShot Radio family? We have effective and affordable advertising packages for every budget. Be part of the excitement of Nashville hockey… Advertisers… reach out to me to access our activated listener base via email at paul(@)slapshotradio(dot)com
Radio station owners/programmers, join the SlapShot Radio Network… contact me using the email above to carry SlapShot Radio on your station, we are satellite delivered every week via SkyView on the SlapShot Radio Network. Each show contains two full breaks for your usage.
Our podcasts are posted… Click here to download or listen to any of this season’s podcasts.