The Road to Omaha doesn’t begin in the spring; coaches already are driving their players toward the College World Series. It’s the rise-n-grind that players tweet about; it’s the workout pictures that are shared on social media. It’s the day-in, day-out work that coaches and players hope will separate their team in June. Before the first pitch in February, NCAA.com is highlighting teams that may reach the Mecca of college baseball: Omaha.
1. What can fans expect from this squad in 2015? They can expect what they’ve seen the last three years since Coach Erstad took over — a team that is going to play hard every day and grind out every win. We have senior leadership with eight seniors who have all contributed, as well as a strong group of newcomers that will need to contribute for us to succeed.
2. What is the one thing this year’s team does best? It plays hard and you can never count it out. Last season, the team won 16 games where it was tied or behind after six innings.
3. Bottom of the ninth, game tied, two outs, winning run on second … which player does this team want to step up to the plate? Sophomore outfielder Ryan Boldt
4. If this team had one game to win, which pitcher would get the ball? Senior right-hander Chance Sinclair
6. What does Omaha mean to this team? Being right down the road from Omaha, it is extra special for this team because when we made it to Omaha three times in the 2000s the place was packed in red. Not only does our team want to make it to Omaha for themselves, but also for our fans and the state.
— Nebraska Assistant Media Relations Director Jeremy Foote
|TOP RETURNING HITTERS|
|TOP RETURNING PITCHERS|
— Nebraska Baseball (@Husker_Baseball) January 13, 2015