The Road to Omaha doesn’t begin in the spring; coaches already are driving their players toward the College World Series. It’s the rise-n-grind that players tweet about; it’s the workout pictures that are shared on social media. It’s the day-in, day-out work that coaches and players hope will separate their team in June. Before the first pitch in February, NCAA.com is highlighting teams that may reach the Mecca of college baseball: Omaha.
1. What can fans expect from this squad in 2015? A team that likes to run the bases and put pressure on the opponent.
2. What is the one thing that this year’s team does best? Steal bases.
3. Bottom of the ninth, tied game, two outs, winning run on second… which player does this team want to step up to the plate? Junior outfielder Steven Duggar, junior infielder Tyler Krieger, sophomore catcher Chris Okey or senior outfielder Tyler Slaton.
4. If this team had one game to win, which pitcher would get the ball? Junior left-hander Matthew Crownover.
5. Who are we most likely to see make a “SportsCenter Top 10” play on this squad? Steven Duggar or Chris Okey, who already has had one with his leaping catch — on a throw from Duggar in right field — and tag at home plate in 2014.
6. What does Omaha mean to this team? It’s on the back of every player’s cap, so it’s on their mind every day.
— Clemson Senior Associate Director of Athletic Communications Brian Hennessy
|TOP RETURNING HITTERS|
|TOP RETURNING PITCHERS|
— Clemson Baseball (@ClemsonBaseball) January 15, 2015