CIS men’s hockey Friday roundup: Cougars complete comeback with OT upset over No. 1 Golden Bears


Jan 23, 2015

Photo credit Mount Royal Athletics

Away Home
Moncton 4 Acadia 6 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Mitchell Racine, Acadia Sports Information

WOLFVILLE, N.S. – Rebounding from a tough to swallow 4-3 overtime loss to the CIS No. 7 ranked Saint Mary’s Huskies this past Wednesday, the CIS No. 3 Acadia Axemen defeated the Moncton Aigles Bleus 6-4.

The first of ten goals scored in the game came from Axeman Chris Owens (St. John’s, Nfld.) at 3:15 on the man advantage, as he netted his fourth goal of the season top corner through traffic to give Acadia the early 1-0 lead.

Over a minute later, Moncton forward Allian Saulnier (Cap-Pelé, N.B.) scored his tenth of the season, beating Axemen goaltender Brandon Glover (Victoria, B.C.) over the shoulder.

Acadia’s Dylan Anderson broke the deadlock at one, beating Aigles Bleus’ Brandon Thibeau (Riverview, N.B.) on the far side giving Acadia a 2-1 lead after one period of play.

Just over eight and a half minutes into the second frame, on a 2-on-1 break, Maxime Pilon (Orleans, Ont.) tied the game at two. Moncton’s Jean-Francois Plante (Sherbrooke, Que.) buried a rebound over a sprawling Glover to give Moncton their first lead of the game with 3:58 remaining in the period.

Only one minute into the final period from the high slot, rookie Axemen blueliner Matthew Pufahl (Saskatoon, Sask.), found teammate Mike Cazzola (Guelph, Ont.) wide open at the side of the crease to redirect his pass for Cazzola’s 13th goal of the season.

Thirteen seconds later, Brett Thompson (Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.) opened the flood gates with his fifteenth goal of the season. Thompson scored his second goal of the period just over two minutes after his first, off of a lively rebound from the end boards.

Alex Saulnier (Cap-Pelé, N.B.) pulled a rejected Moncton bench from the depths of giving in when he scored at the ten minute mark of the third, closing Acadia’s lead to 5-4.

Rookie forward Remy Giftopoulos put the game out of reach with less than a minute remaining in the game with the insurance empty net goal.

The Axemen outshot the Aigles Bleus 43-24, as second year goalie Brandon Glover made 20 saves for the win. Thibeau stopped 37 shots in goal for the Aigles Bleus.

Acadia continues to hold onto second place with a three point lead over the Saint Mary’s Huskies and two points behind the league leading UNB Varsity Reds.

The Aigles Bleus and Axemen both return to action tomorrow night as Moncton visits the Dalhousie Tigers in Halifax, while the Axemen host the CIS #2 UNB Varisty Reds in a marquee match-up in Wolfville.

Saint Mary’s 6 St. Thomas 5 Final Shootout – Away Box Score | Recap

Source STU Communications

The St. Thomas Tommies earned one point in the AUS men’s hockey standings after falling 6-5 in a shootout to the Saint Mary’s Huskies, Friday night in front of 569 spectators at the Grant-Harvey Centre.

Matt Tipoff, who scored the shootout-winner, and Michael D’Orazio each had three assists for the Huskies, while Steven Shipley and Stephen Johnston both had two points.

JC Campagna had three points for the Tommies and Eric Diodati had two.

“The only part I am disappointed with was the loss,” Tommies head coach Pat Powers said after the game. “I was very proud of the way everyone played.”

The Tommies were the first to hit the score sheet with Zach Hall beating SMU’s netminder Cole Cheveldave five hole on the power play for a 1-0 lead.

The Huskies generated seven shots on goal but Phillippe Trudeau stood tall between the pipes for the Tommies, maintaining their one goal lead after 20 minutes.

The second brought on a flood of goals.

Saint Mary’s scored two quick goals to start the frame—one on the power play from Stephen Johnston and one even-strength from Jeff Marchand.

The Tommies bounced back with back-to-back goals of their own. The first came off the stick of Shane McColgan, his first as a Tommie, and the second came from Rankyn Campbell, who put STU up 3-2.

Campagna extended the Tommies’ lead to 4-2 at 6:48, finishing top corner to end Cheveldave’s night in net. Anthony Peters took over the job and turned away the rest of the shots in the period.

SMU capitalized on the power play twice before the end of the frame—Johnston netted his second of the night at 14:28 and Steven Shipley redirected a shot to the back of the net to tie the game 4-4 heading into the third.

Powers was proud of the way his team continued to battle, despite the strong push from the Huskies.

“It is good to see at this point in the season that we are starting to develop and say ‘we are a good team in this league and we can make our own breaks.'”

Campagna buried his second of the night on the power play midway through the third to put the Tommies up 5-4. The Huskies wouldn’t quit, though, and Shipley tallied his second for SMU to tie the game and force overtime.

The extra frame solved nothing, so the game had to be decided in a shootout. Tipoff scored the game-winner in the fifth round.

The Tommies are back in action Saturday when they host the St. Francis Xavier X-men at 7 pm. Saint Mary’s will travel to Prince Edward Island where they will take on the UPEI Panthers.

StFX 5 UPEI 1 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: StFX Sports Info

Charlottetown, PE – The StFX X-Men skated to a 5-1 win over the UPEI Panthers Friday night in a penalty-filled affair.

The two teams amassed 212 penalty minutes (including 164 in the third period alone) on 46 infractions. There were 15 game misconducts as the squads had two major scuffles late in the third period, one that resulted in Panthers head coach Forbes MacPherson being tossed from the game.

After a scoreless first period, Tyler Brown opened the scoring in the game for the Panthers with a goal 5:31 into the second period. Marcus Power and Brent Andrews assisted.

The X-Men then scored five unanswered goals, three in the second period and another pair in the third frame.

Subway player of the game Rob Slaney scored his first of two goals on the night 9:57 into the second period, from Ted Stephens.

Stephens then assisted on Slaney’s second goal which came on the power play at 12:40. Jagger Dirk also picked up a helper on the play.

Kristoff Kontos, who joined the X-Men squad in January, notched his first career AUS goal, unassisted, at 18:56 to give the X-Men a 3-1 advantage after 40 minutes.

Michael Kirkpatrick scored the second power play goal of the night for the X-Men at 6:42 of the third period, unassisted.

Cole Grbavac scored the fifth X-Men goal at 16:12, from Nathan Chiarlitti and Dirk, in between third period melees.

Owsley had 34 saves for his 13th win of the season. Panthers netminder Connor Wilkinson turned aside 22 shots.

The Panthers outshot the visiting X-Men 35-27.

UPEI (9-11-2) will host the Saint Mary’s Huskies (16-6-1) Saturday night in their next AUS action, while the X-Men travel to Fredericton to take on the St. Thomas Tommies (2-16-4). Puck drop is 7:00 pm for both games.

UNB 7 Dalhousie 2 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Dalhousie Sports Info

It wasn’t pretty.

The UNB Varsity Reds steamrolled past the Dalhousie Tigers 7-2 Friday night at the Dalplex. The win increased the Varsity Reds (18-2-2) win streak to ten games, while the Tigers (6-15-1) have now lost three straight. The Varsity Reds remain in first place while the Tigers sit in seventh place in the AUS.

Dana Fraser led the way for the Varsity Reds with two goals. Fraser has been red hot since joining the Varsity Reds midseason, and he’s now scored seven goals in his first six games. League-leading scorer Philippe Maillet also notched two goals and he added an assist in the victory.

It was the Tigers who struck first as Luke Madill scored his second goal of the season on the powerplay off a feed from JP Harvey to open the scoring just one minute into the game.

The lead wouldn’t last long as Dana Fraser answered back for the Varsity Reds five minutes later, and they would tack on two more goals as they stretched their lead to 3-1 as they headed into the first intermission.

The Varsity Reds added four more goals in the second period as they opened up a daunting 7-1 lead going into the final frame.

The teams would trade a goal in the third period, but it didn’t anything to change the outcome as the Varsity Reds rolled to a 7-2 victory.

The Tigers will look to get back in the win column tomorrow when they host the University of Moncton tomorrow, while the Varsity Reds head to Wolfville to take on the Acadia Axemen. Both games get underway at 7:00pm.

Laurentian 1 Nipissing 4 Final Box Score

Source: Robb Fenton, Nipissing Sports Information Clerk

Just when the Nipissing Lakers men’s hockey team needed a big effort, they got and earned two huge points Friday night on home ice.

The Lakers, who had lost their past two games, came up with a huge 4-1 win over the Laurentian Voyageurs, the team they’re battling with for fourth place in the OUA East Division.

With the win, the Lakers have now caught the Voyageurs in points and surpassed them thanks to having more wins on the season.

After surrendering the first goal of the game late in the first, the Lakers tied the game before the period came to an end.

Colin Campbell found the back of the net, with his linemates Brock Morrison and Jacob McDowell earning assists.

After the first 20, it was all Lakers as they scored once in the second and twice in the third to come away with the win.

Matt Paton scored what would be the game-winner in the second period on a power play and Jim McDowell padded the lead in the third with a power play goal of his own.

Dylan Staples would ice it with a goal late in the period to ensure the Lakers got the two points.

Paton finished with a goal and two assists and Jacob McDowell had two assists to lead the team offensively.

Kirk Rafuse bounced back from a rough weekend against Lakehead and turned in a solid game, making 29 saves for the victory.

Nipissing will look to build off this win tomorrow when they hit the road to face the powerful Carleton Ravens, who sit in third place in the division.

Game time is 7 p.m. in Ottawa.

Queen’s 1 McGill 4 Final Box Score
Western 0 York 1 Final Box Score
Windsor 2 Brock 1 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Windsor Sports Info

The Windsor Lancer men’s hockey team won their fourth straight on Friday night with a 2-1 win over the Brock Badgers in St. Catharines, ON.

With the victory, the No. 6 Lancers remain atop the OUA standings with an 18-3-1 record, while the Badgers lost their fourth straight and are 9-12-2 on the year to sit in the middle of the pack in the west division.

After a scoreless first period, the Lancers opened the scoring 11:42 into the middle stanza as Drew Palmer scored his thirteenth goal of the season.

Windsor would then take a 2-0 lead midway through the third period when Dylan Denomme beat Badger netminder Adrian Volpe on the powerplay for his eleventh goal of the campaign.

Tyson Dallman got one for the Badgers at the 13:51 mark, with his third tally of the year, but that’s all the home side could muster behind Parker Van Buskirk who made 26 saves in the victory.

Volpe turned aside 34 in the loss.

Windsor will head to Waterloo tomorrow night to take on the Laurier Golden Hawks at 7:00pm.

Lakehead 3 Toronto 4 Final Box Score
Saskatchewan 1 Manitoba 2 Final – 2OT Box Score | Recap

Source: Jordan Haslbeck, Manitoba Sports Info

The Manitoba Bisons men’s hockey team beat the Saskatchewan Huskies 2–1 in double overtime at Wayne Fleming Arena.

With the victory Manitoba takes the first of a two game series against Saskatchewan improving the playoff bound Bisons’ record to 13–12–0 while the Huskies’ record drops to 10–13–2.

“Both goalies played really well,” said Bisons head coach Mike Sirant, “the goal on Spriggs was one he would like to have back but after that he settled down and looked a lot more composed the rest of the game. The important thing is that in a close hard fought game we found a way to win.”

Huskies goalie Ryan Holfeld looked good early in the first period making a nice glove save on Bisons forward Brett Dudar’s backhand shot, one of Holfeld’s 11 saves in the period. Saskatchewan opened the scoring with Craig McCallum’s team leading 12 goal of the season on sharp angle shot beating Manitoba’s goalie Byron Spriggs. Spriggs was beat again later in the first but the goal was waved off because of a high stick keeping it a 1–0 game.

Both goalies were fantastic in the second period making great saves throughout the period but with five seconds left in the period Bisons forward Jordan DePape scored his team leading 12 goal of the season off a rebound.

Saskatchewan defenseman Kendall McFaull fired a shot past Spriggs but was stopped by the crossbar just over a minute into the third period. The rest of the third period went by without a goal from either team so we were headed for overtime.

Goaltending continued to dominate the game through the first five minutes of overtime so the teams would have to play five minuets of three–on–three overtime. With 12 seconds left in the second overtime Bisons forward Taylor Dickin would end the game with a wrist shot while coming down the ice on a two–on­–one.

At the end of the game the shots were 46 for Manitoba, 31 for Saskatchewan.

“We’re trying to climb up the standing to get a better seeding and home ice advantage,” said Sirant, “so all these games are hugely important for us.”

The Bisons play their next and final home game of the season tomorrow Saturday, January 24 in a rematch with the Huskies at 6 p.m. CST at Wayne Fleming Arena.

Calgary 9 Lethbridge 1 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Lethbridge Sports Info

Lethbridge – The University of Lethbridge Pronghorns were dealt a rough loss, Friday night, at the hands of the University of Calgary Dinos, who combined for four power play goals en route to a commanding 9-1 win, in the first half of a two-game home and home series.

Spencer Edwards, Kevin King, and Dylan Walchuck each earned individual markers for the Dinos while Elgin Pearce added two of his own and finished the night with five points. Aspen Sterzer led the way for Calgary, netting a total of four markers on the night, including two on the power play.

Justin Valentino scored the lone goal for Lethbridge.

Kris Lazarak got the start for Calgary and looked strong between the pipes, turning aside all but one of the 27 shots he faced, while Lethbridge’s Damien Ketlo saw a total of 46 shots on the night.

Calgary struck first, at 3:12. Chance Lund put a great shot on target and Edwards was ready at the hash marks to redirect his shot into the net, past the Lethbridge keeper.

Tim Campbell and Brent Henke each had a couple of good scoring chances with an early man-advantage but neither would manage to convert.

Calgary continued to push the pace offensively. Into the zone with speed, Walchuck’s first effort was turned aside but he was given another chance and managed to convert on his second effort. His hard wrister found a slim line through a maze of bodies, high top shelf, over Ketlo’s glove-side shoulder to put the Dinos up 2-0.

With Lethbridge’s Valentino in the box for hooking, Drydn Dow unloaded a hard blast from just inside the blue line and King, in perfect position beside the net, got his stick on it to redirect it in over the line. His seventh goal of the season widened his team’s lead to three and with less than one minute remaining the opening frame, Sterzer notched his first of the contest, coming in off the wing and beating Ketlo glove-side with a well-placed wrist shot.

The Dinos extended their lead to five less than two minutes into the second. With a flurry of bodies packed in around the Lethbridge net-minder, Sterzer added his second of the night, courtesy of Spencer Edwards and Christopher Collins.

After struggling to materialize many scoring chances in the first, Lethbridge net their first of the night shortly before the midway point of the second. With Cason Machacek serving time for interference, a misplayed puck in the neutral zone saw Valentino break out all alone with a shorthanded breakaway chance. The first-year winger rose to the occasion and, with a quick deke, put one past Lazaruk.

Pearce added a sixth goal late in the second, a low glove-side bullet that soared across the line.

With just over six minutes left to play, Lazaruk made a show-stopper of a save on Valentino, on the doorstep, eager to add a late marker. Down on his knees, the Calgary net-minder stayed with him all the way and when Valentino tried to lift it up and over his shoulder, he flashed the glove on his way down to the ice to make the stop.

Pearce added his second of the night, for Calgary, at 17:45 and, not to be outdone, Stetzer added his third and fourth goals of the night, back-to-back, moments later, bringing the final tally to 9-1.

With this win the Dinos improve to 17-8-0 while the Pronghorns fall to 4-21-0. Game two of the weekend series goes tomorrow night in Calgary, at Father David Bauer Arena.

Mount Royal 3 Alberta 2 Final – OT Box Score | Recap

Source: Alberta Sports Info

EDMONTON – The No.10 Mount Royal University Cougars surprised the No.1 University of Alberta Golden Bears with a come-from-behind overtime victory, taking a 3-2 decision back home in the first half of a home-and-home series, Friday night at Clare Drake Arena.

Mount Royal’s leading scorer, Cody Cartier, had a pair of goals, including the game-winner, while former Camrose Kodiak Tyler Jewitt tied the game with 11.3 seconds left in the third period. Former University of Calgary Dino Tyler Fiddler added two assists.

Ex-Victoria Royal Jamie Crooks and Edmonton native Levko Koper got the Bears out to an early 2-0 lead before the Cougars snapped Alberta’s eight-game winning streak.

The Bears drop to 21-3-1 but had already clinched first place in the conference standings last weekend. Mount Royal improves to 16-8-1 to keep pace with the Calgary Dinos, who remain one point up on the Cougars after all of Friday night’s action.

Alberta dominated the play in the first period, outshooting the visitors 17-6 in the opening 20 minutes and opening the scoring at the 5:10 mark when Crooks used a screen in front, chipping a shot from the faceoff dot over the glove of rookie ‘tender Cam Lanigan.

Just under two minutes later, the Bears doubled the lead off a tic-tac-toe play in the offensive zone, Koper finishing with a one-timer for his eighth of the season.

On the penalty kill late in the frame, freshman Riley Kieser almost made it 3-0 but Lanigan stoned him on the breakaway with his right pad and got a little luck on the rebound as Stephane Legault shot the puck wide before the net came off its moorings to end the play.

Back on the ice for the second period, the momentum was all Mount Royal, the road squad outshooting Alberta in their own rink by a 7-1 margin to start the stanza.

Rookie Zack Henry got close to cutting the lead in half, getting the best chance of the frame when just to the right of the slot, he had an open net to shoot at but third-year rearguard Brennan Yadlowski made a huge block to keep the Cougars off the board.

It was all for naught in the third, however, Cartier grabbing a loose puck in the slot before outwaiting Alberta netminder Kurtis Mucha who guessed the wrong way by going right, leaving the fourth-year a chance to go left and slide the puck along the ice into the open goal, 42 seconds into the period.

The Bears, who were outshot 9-4 in the second, continued to struggle for offensive pressure in the third while the Cougars just kept grinding away as time wound down, hoping to get a break.

And a break they got when defender Bill Marshall lobbed a shot from the top of the faceoff circle, Jewitt tipping the puck about waist height to flick the rubber into the opposite corner of the net and tie the game up at two.

Halfway through the tentative first overtime period, as the Bears tried to begin a rush from behind their own goal, the puck ricocheted off a leg and right out to the slot to an opportunistic Cartier, potting the puck inside the far post to massive cheers from the Mount Royal bench, swarming the ice to celebrate their sudden-death victory.

Both teams finished the night at 0-3 on the power-play.

Game two of the home-and-home series will go Saturday at Flames Community Arena in Calgary, puck drop at 7:00 p.m. MT.

Regina 3 UBC 2 Final – 2OT Box Score | Recap

Source: Tim Huebsch, UBC Sports Information Assistant

VANCOUVER — The University of British Columbia men’s hockey team dropped a frustrating game to the University of Regina Cougars (8-15-2) in double overtime 3-2. The loss doesn’t move the Thunderbirds—now 11-9-5—in the Canada West standings, as they remain in fourth place, picking up a single points as they continue their quest for a home playoff series.

Ian McNulty played the hero Friday night, taking a feed from Sanfred King 3:27 into double overtime and making no mistake, beating Matt Hewitt for the game-winning goal and a 3-2 victory for the visiting Cougars.

Much like their extra-time heartbreaker last weekend, the ‘Birds allowed the visitors to creep back into the game late in the third with a pair of goals, despite opportunities aplenty. UBC went 0-for-9 on the power play, unable to take advantage of any of the 14 infractions the Cougars served.

“We just didn’t put them away,” Neil Manning said after the loss. “The last couple of games we’ve lost we score the first goal but then we let them back in. We need to work on getting that second and third goal and just putting them away.”

The pace of the game was set less than 30 seconds into the first with off-setting penalties that sent Ian McNulty and Luke Lockhart to the box for crosschecking and slashing respectively.

UBC opened up the scoring late in the opening period. Cole Wilson tipped a Ben Schmidt saucer pass, past Regina goaltender Lucas Gore to put the home team in front 1-0. The goal is Wilson’s 11th of the season, and Schmidt’s sixth assist. Manraj Hayer picked up the second assist. 1-0 is how things stood after 20 minutes of play.

Intensity grew in the second period, although the score remained 1-0. UBC had four power plays but were unable to capitalize despite a few good opportunities. Dillon Wagner laid himself on the line twice, blocking a shot early in the period with his torso, and later with his shin. Visibly shaken after the latter, he made his way down the tunnel, but returned to play in the third.

Regina wasted little time in the third period, scoring their first goal 1:06 into the frame. Brock Appleyard took a feed from behind UBC’s net from Tyler Henry for his second of the season, to tie the game at 1-1. 33 seconds later Austin Bourhis’ night came to close as he was assessed a five-minute major penalty for a hit to the head of Nick Bouanassisi and a game misconduct. However, the Thunderbirds were unable to find the puck of the net on the lengthy power play.

Just past the midway point of the third period Regina took the lead as Dylen McKinlay passed a wobbly puck to Sanfred King who flipped it over Hewitt for his eighth goal of the season. The ‘Birds quickly answered back, or so they thought, but much to his frustration, Schmidt’s goal was waived off for a kicking motion.

UBC did not relinquish the game just yet, however. Lockhart scored off of a rebound from a Wagner slapshot to tie the game with 6:06 left in the period. Regular time ended in a 2-2 draw, in which UBC led shots on goal 38-21.

Early over time UBC once again found themselves on the power play, this time a 4-on-3, but as was the theme of the night they would be unable to capitalize. Five minutes of 4-on-4 solved nothing so the game went to double overtime and 3-on-3 hockey.

“We need to play our game,” said Manning. “We’ve got to stick with it on the power play and try to get more pucks to the net from up top.”

Regina also finished the night without a power play goal, going 0 for 4 while UBC was 0 for 9.

Lucas Gore was solid in net for the Cougars making 40 saves in the win. Hewitt took the loss stopping 22 of the 25 shots he faced.

The Thunderbirds will look to bounce back tomorrow. The rematch is slated for 7 p.m. PT at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre.

Your sports. Your teams. The ISN Daily Digest.

Sign up to the ISN Daily Digest and sit back while we pick the previous day’s best headlines and speed them straight to your inbox every morning.
Email address
First Name*
We abide by all applicable emailing laws including 100% CAN-SPAM/CASL/US CAN-SPAM Act compliance. No spam!