CIS men’s hockey Thursday roundup: Reddick scores shootout winner to lift Golden Bears over Huskies


Jan 29, 2015

Photo credit Alberta Athletics

Away Home
Laurier 5 York 3 Final Box Score
Windsor 1 Western 0 Final Box Score

Source: Western Sports Info

LONDON, Ont. — For a team that’s known for their ability to put pucks in the net, the Mustangs have run into a bit of an unfamiliar problem lately.

After being shut out by York last Friday, Western found themselves unable to score for the second straight game on Thursday night, falling to the Windsor Lancers by a score of 1-0 at Thompson Arena thanks to a 25-save performance from Parker Van Buskirk.

When asked post-game if the 120-minute goal drought was leading to some frustration on the part of the coaching staff, Mustangs head coach Clarke Singer didn’t seem too concerned.

“Well I don’t know about my part, I mean obviously the guys are the ones probably the most frustrated,” Singer responded. “You know they’re working hard, they’re pretty committed, they’re doing lots of real good things and just can’t find the back of the net.

“We’ve played two very good defensive teams that have great goaltending… but we’re going to have to find a way to get those goals that aren’t just created off the rush,” he added.

Western had a number of chances to tie the game late but ran into some penalty trouble, as Adam McKee was booked for slashing with less than four minutes left. Even after he got out of the box, the Lancers ensured that the Mustangs would be unable to get Dodds out of his net for the extra attacker.

The only goal of the game came in the second period off the stick of Sebastien Beauregard, as he spoiled an otherwise solid performance from Greg Dodds in net. Dodds finished with 22 saves on 23 shots Thursday night, following up his excellent start against the Lions last week with his second straight one-goal game, a positive takeaway after a rough start to January.

The win moves the first-place Lancers four points above Western in the OUA West Division standings and ensures that the Mustangs won’t have a chance to take over first place when they play Waterloo this Saturday. The Warriors currently sit third in the division—three points behind Western— but have a chance to earn two points when they play Brock on Friday.

Windsor circled in the first frame but were unable to convert, registering the majority of chances despite firing the same amount of shots as Western with eight. Greg Dodds was calm and collected in the Mustangs net, handling the shots that reached him with relative ease and getting a number of timely blocks from his teammates to leave the period with a clean sheet.

The bodies were flying early in the game, with both teams making it clear that no check would go unfinished on the night. Jake Worrad provided Western’s response to a number of nice Windsor checks with a crushing neutral zone check on Mike Christou midway through the frame. A total of three penalties were handed out in the period, two of which were assessed to Kyle De Coste on the same play for slashing and roughing.

But Western would kill off the four minute infraction— a result that Mustangs fans have become accustomed to this season when you consider that the purple and white have now allowed just two power play goals at home on 56 chances for a success rate of 96.5%.

Whereas the first frame saw the Lancers determine the pace of play, the middle frame saw Western find their feet and push the pace. That fact was probably due in large part to the two penalties that Windsor took early in the period, both of which were assessed for tripping within the first five minutes to Kyle Hope and Dylan Denomme, respectively.

Yet the best power play in the OUA was unable to capitalize, and as a result the Lancers were able to get away scot-free for their early mistakes. Instead, it would be Windsor that would get on the board first, as Beauregard was able to get his stick on a Chad Shepley point shot and bounce the puck pas a helpless Dodds.

Western had good chances both on five-on-five and on the power play. Van Buskirk came up big a number of times when the Mustangs had the man advantage, highlighted by a timely glove save through traffic during the first infraction. Julian Cimadamore was one Mustang that was creating chances at full strength, using his free arm to protect himself as he circled out from the corner to earn himself a backhand chance midway through the frame.

Windsor came out swinging early in the third period but would end up needing some luck of their own within the first four minutes, as Western scored only to have their goal called back. Steve Reese created the chance, blocking a Lancer shot in his own end, racing up the ice, and feeding an open Matt Marantz in front for the tally. But the referees congregated after the play and determined that the puck hadn’t crossed the goal line, nullifying the goal.

The Mustangs kept pressing, though, making the Lancers work hard to stay ahead, and whenever Windsor did get free for a chance Dodds was brilliant. One of his best saves of the night came around nine minutes into the third, when he turned aside a rising point shot by leaping up and flinging out his shoulder. Just after the midway mark he would throw another save in the hat, making a flashy glove stop on a rip from the hashmarks.

“Greg has played great,” Singer responded when asked about Dodds’ play through his last two starts. “He’s done a great job for us all year and Marc [Nother] as well when he’s been in the pipes. [Dodds] has obviously had to be great the last couple games against York and against Windsor— it’s too bad we couldn’t reward him.”

Van Buskirk was quote impressive too, turning away chance after chance from a Mustangs team that kept finding ways to get the puck in close. Both goaltenders contributed to the quick pace of the game by demonstrating their slick puck handling skills, leaving the crease every chance they got to keep play flowing smoothly.

Next up for the Mustangs is a matchup against Waterloo on Saturday as part of Western’s annual Mustang Days celebration. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m. at Thompson Arena.

On an very positive note, Ryan Kirk, a player who has been struggling to return from injury this year, was able to draw back into the lineup last week against the Lions and was back in again on Thursday night. Speaking to John Urban of Mustangs TV after the game, the third-year forward admitted that he wasn’t sure he’d get back to playing hockey and called the last two games “a small victory for myself.” When asked by Urban if he had a message for players in similar situations, he offered up this nugget: “I quoted Scott Fitzgerald on Facebook the day I came back, it was ‘don’t confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.’ So I did get hurt but I’m determined not to let it get me down and take me out of the game. When I leave the game I want it to be on my own terms, not on someone else’s.”

Alberta 2 Saskatchewan 1 Final Shootout Box Score | Recap

Source: Nicole Betker, Saskatchewan Sports Info

University of Alberta’s captain Kruise Reddick was the lone scorer in the shootout to lift the No.1 ranked Golden Bears to a 2-1 win over the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Thursday night in Saskatoon’s Rutherford Rink.

Reddick, the ninth shooter on the night, beat Huskie netminder Ryan Holfeld with a quick shot stick side to win the game. Alberta’s T.J. Foster, Johnny Lazo and Jordan Hickmott were all stopped by Holfeld, while Brett Ferguson missed the net.

Saskatchewan’s Matthew Spafford, Jesse Ross and Craig McCallum were stopped at the other end of the ice by Alberta’s Kurtis Mucha, while Parker Thomas and Sean Aschim missed for the Huskies.

With the win, the Golden Bears improve to 23-3-1 and Saskatchewan drops to 10-14-3. Both teams have clinched a spot in the playoffs. Alberta will finish first, while Saskatchewan will be sixth.

Alberta’s Hickmott opened the scoring at 4:55 in the second period after a mad scramble in front of the Huskies’ net. After two big Holfeld stops and a block at the goal line by captain Matthew Delahey, Alberta found itself with the puck again in the slot and was able to snap it in capitalizing on the barrage.

The Huskies tied the game just over two minutes later when Mucha caused a turnover right in front of the net. The errant pass landed on Ross’ stick and his quick shot went straight into the net blocker side at 7:32.

Foster had the best chance to break the knot in the final minute of the second five-minute overtime period. His quick wrist shot trickled by Holfeld but the fifth-year netminder scooped the puck with his stick before it crossed the goal line.

Despite the loss, Holfeld was impressive in the loss stopping 48 shots in 70 minutes for Saskatchewan. Mucha made 21 saves in the win at the other end of the ice.

The two rivals will meet again Friday night at Rutherford Rink in the final Canada West men’s hockey regular season game before the World Universiade break. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.

Calgary 2 Regina 1 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Regina Sports Info

The University of Regina Cougars men’s hockey team was defeated 2-1 by the Calgary Dinos in Canada West action at The Co-operators Centre on Thursday night.

Alex Dzielski and Adam Kambeitz scored for the visitors. Rookie Zach McPhee (pictured) scored his first-career CIS goal in the loss.

Lucas Gore made 38 saves in the loss, while Kris Lazaruk stopped 32 shots for the Dinos.

Calgary wasted no time opening the scoring, as Dzielski scored his second of the season just 57 seconds in. Dzielski came up from the blue line and put a shot on net. Gore shrugged it aside but the fourth-year defenceman scooped up his own rebound behind the net and converted the wrap-around, giving the Dinos an early 1-0 lead. Kevin King collected an assist on the play.

It wasn’t long before the Dinos would strike again, and Kambeitz was able to rip one past Gore from a sharp angle. The play started with King putting a shot on net from the point, but the attempt on net hit Walker Wintoneak who was attempting to screen Gore. The loose puck rolled right to Kambeitz, who was able to fire a wrist shot into the top of the net before Gore could recover.

Regina would get on the board late in the second period, thanks to McPhee’s first of his Canada West career. McPhee took a centring pass from Dylen McKinlay and snapped a low shot that beat Kris Lazaruk through the five hole. Miguel Pereira also assisted on McPhee’s first as a Cougar.

The Cougars had a chance to tie it before the period ended as Sanfred King sent McKinlay in on a breakaway. McKinlay faked and went to his backhand, but Lazaruk made an incredible glove save to preserve Calgary’s one-goal lead heading into the third.

The Cougars had a pair of good chances to tie it in the third period, but were unable to capitalize on either. The first came as Ian McNulty sprung McKinlay on a partial breakaway, but McKinlay’s backhand attempt sailed wide of the net.

The other strong scoring chance for the Cougars was by John Neibrandt, who took a feed from behind the net and one-timed a slapshot from the faceoff circle. The shot looked like it was headed to the top corner but Lazaruk made another spectacular glove save to keep it a 2-1 game.

Regina would pull Gore for the last 60 seconds of the game and had a couple shots on net, but Lazaruk stood tall and secured the win for the Dinos.

The Cougars will close their 2014-15 season on Friday night with a rematch against the Dinos. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. at The Co-operators Centre.

UBC 3 Lethbridge 4 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Lethbridge Sports Info

Lethbridge – Heading into the final weekend of the season, all the UBC Thunderbirds needed to do was stay in front of the Manitoba Bisons in the standings in order to secure their first home playoff berth since 1971. Unfortunately for the T-Birds they ran into a University of Lethbridge Pronghorns team with nothing to play for except for their pride and to play spoiler. The Horns exploded out of the gates and riding the momentum of two early power play markers, the Horns were able to hang on and upend the T-Birds 4-3.

Hayden Rintoul scored twice for the ‘Horns, while David McMullen and Brock Hirsche each picked up a goal each. Cole Wilson picked up two goals in a losing cause for the Thunderbirds and Luke Lockheart picked up the other goal.

A two-man advantage put the T-Birds on the ropes early as the Pronghorns notched two quick goals in 24 seconds to claim an early 2-0 lead. Hayden Rintoul’s slap shot from the point got the Horns on the board first as the former Victoria Royal one-timed a feed from his defense partner Ryan Aasman. David McMullen added to the Horns lead shortly thereafter, receiving a pass from down low in the corner from Mitch Maxwell before wiring a shot over the glove of T-Birds goalie Matt Hewitt.

The ‘Horns explosive start forced T-Birds coach Tyler Kuntz to take a time-out in an attempt to rally the troops. While the time-out re-energized his team, the T-Birds were unable to solve Horns goalie Warren Shymko in the first period, despite outshooting the Pronghorns 19-10.

The Pronghorns started the second period the same way that they started the first, with a Hayden Rintoul goal. This time the goal came while the ‘Horns were a man down. A neutral zone turnover by the T-Birds gave the ‘Horns a 2 on 1 rush which transitioned into a 3 on 2. For the second time in the game Mitch Maxwell made a nifty pass, finding a streaking Rintoul in the high slot where he would rip a wrist shot over the glove of Hewitt.

The T-Birds finally solved Shymko at the 11:12 mark of the second when Luke Lockheart scooped up a rebound at the top of the crease and buried it past the down and out ‘Horns goalkeeper. Despite outshooting the ‘Horns 11-9 in the second, the Thunderbirds trailed the Pronghorns by a score of 3-1 heading into the intermission.

As they did in the previous two periods, the ‘Horns would once again strike early in the period. Breaking down the right wing Brock Hirshe wired a slap shot through a partially screened Hewitt to put the Horns up 4-1 and restore their three goal cushion at the 1:40 mark of the third.

The T-Birds once again drew within two at 6:21 of the third as ‘Horns goalie Shymko was knocked down in during a scramble in the crease, which led to Justin Georgeson feeding Cole Wilson from behind the net for an easy tap-in goal.

With time dwindling down in the period, UBC drew within one while on the power play as Wilson picked up his second of the contest. The former Camrose Kodiak blasted a slap shot from the point through the five-hole of Shymko to make it a 4-3 game with 1:14 on the clock. Despite having the ‘Horns on their heels with the extra attacker, time would expire before the T-Birds were able to tie the game and the ‘Horns escaped with a 4-3 victory.

The T-Birds once again outshot the ‘Horns in the third by a total of 12-7, giving them a 43-26 advantage in the contest.

The ‘Horns victory improves their record to 5-22-0 while the T-Birds slip to 12-11-5, but it wasn’t all bad news for the Thunderbirds as Mount Royal did them a favor knocking off the Bisons tonight and keeping their hopes of a home playoff date alive. The teams will finish their weekend series Friday night in Lethbridge with a 7:00pm puck drop at Nicholas Sheran Arena.

Following Friday night’s game, members of the men’s hockey team will be shaving their heads in support of their brothers, Dylan and Brennan in their fight. All donations received will be put towards testicular cancer research and awareness. Donations can be made online.

Manitoba 2 Mount Royal 3 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Mount Royal Sports Info

Calgary, AB – The Mount Royal Cougars came from behind to defeat the Manitoba Bisons 3-2 at Flames Community Arenas. Brett Zarazun scored twice and Cody Cartier added the game winner to secure third place in the Canada West standings for the Cougars. Shaquille Merasty added two goals for the Bisons in a losing effort.

Manitoba got off to a quick start just 1:38 into the game. The Bisons were creating traffic in front of Dalyn Flette before Shaquille Merasty banged in a loose puck to put Manitoba up 1-0. The Cougars were un-phased by the early tally and kept the pedal to the floor. Mount Royal controlled the pace throughout and even outshot the Bisons 9-5 in the first period, but were unable to beat Byron Spriggs.

Brett Zarazun took control of the puck early in the second period and made a power move out of the corner. He kept jamming away and eventually the puck found its way past Spriggs to tie the game at one.

After Zarazun’s goal, the ice looked like it was titled downhill toward the Cougar’s net. Dalyn Flette was forced to make several acrobatic saves to keep the Cougars in the game after two periods of play.

Shaquille Merasty scored another early period goal just 17 second into the third to restore the Bisons’ lead. The Cougars came storming back just over three minutes later. After working the puck around, Matt Brown got it out Zarazun who hammered a laser home from the point to tie the game at two.

The Cougars could smell blood and they continued to pepper Spriggs with shots from all angles. Cody Cartier, the team’s leading scorer, got the puck in the high slot off a pass from Tyler Fiddler and ripped it low blocker side for the game-winning goal.

The win improves Mount Royal to a record of 17-9-1 and clinches third place in the conference.

Manitoba remains just one point back of the UBC Thunderbirds, who also lost this evening, with a record of 14-13.

The regular season will conclude tomorrow evening at Flames Community Arenas. Puck drop between the Bisons and Cougars is set for 7:00pm.