CIS women’s hockey Friday roundup: Montreal manhandles Martlets in physical showdown of top two CIS hockey teams


Jan 30, 2015

Photo credit Montreal Athletics

Away Home
Saint Mary’s 5 St. Thomas 4 Final – OT Box Score | Recap

Source STU Communications

Fredericton, NS – The St. Thomas Tommies fell 5-4 in overtime to the St. Mary’s Huskies in AUS women’s hockey action Friday night at the Grant-Harvey Centre in front of 237 spectators.

Sarah Douglas, who tallied the overtime winner, had three points for the Huskies, while Lauren Henman and Becky Conner each had two points in a losing cause.

“We should have won it in regulation,” Tommies head coach Peter Murphy said after the game. “In the end they had they extra attacker and that’s who ends up getting it, but I think we had opportunities to get that puck out.”

The Huskies opened the scoring at 7:33 when Caitlyn Manning finished a feed in front of the net. Conner responded for the Tommies on the power play at 12:18, finishing a cross-crease pass for her eleventh goal of the season.

The Huskies doubled the Tommies’ shots on goal in the frame, but STU netminder Abby Clarke stood tall between the pipes to keep the game knotted at 1-1 after 20 minutes.

The teams traded leads in the second—the Huskies grabbed a 2-1 advantage at 7:02 off a Breanna Lanceleve power play goal, but Henman responded for the Tommies with a back-hand power play goal to tie the game, 2-2.

The Tommies took the lead at 15:59 when Samantha Squires profited off a scramble in front of SMU goaltender Justine McIntosh. Less than two minutes later, the Huskies responded after Nicole Blanche tipped in a rebound to even the score at 3-3 heading into the third.

Henman netted her second of the game with less than two minutes to go to put the Tommies up 4-3, but the Huskies pulled McIntosh for the extra attacker and Mary Wordnl capitalized to force overtime.

Douglas buried the game winner with just 38 seconds left in the extra frame, securing two points for the Huskies who move into third place in the AUS with a record of 10-10-2.

“We’re moving towards where we want to be,” Murphy said of the loss. “We didn’t do very well in the first, but we did better in the second and in the third we were better again. We have some light at the end of the tunnel.”

The Tommies, who sit one point behind the Huskies, fell to fourth place with a record of 9-9-4.

“Lately everyone’s been going to overtime, so even if you lose you get a point. The standings are getting that much closer,” Murphy said.

The Tommies are back in action Wednesday when they face the Mount Allison Mounties in Sackville, while the Huskies take on the Mounties tomorrow.

UPEI 2 Dalhousie 1 Final Shootout Box Score | Recap

Source: Dalhousie Sports Info

The Dalhousie Tigers held their own defensively this time around against the UPEI Panthers in regular time, but were unable to capitalize on their opportunities to get the win. The Panthers came out on top with a shootout victory after a scoreless overtime period at the Civic Centre.

The first period ended scoreless with neither team able to find the back of the net. Despite getting six power play opportunities, the Tigers were still out-shot 8-5 by the Panthers.

The Tigers were once again out-shot by the Panthers in the second period 12-8. Panthers’ defender Maddison Clarke was able to get one past Jessica Severeyns at the 9:08 mark to take the lead.

In the third period the Tigers fought back to even the score at the 11:30 with a goal from second year forward, Marita Alfieri. This brings Alfeieri to a total of six goals so far this season.

With neither team scoring in overtime, the game ended in shootouts. The Tigers sent out Alfieri twice in hopes that she could put another one away and lead the Tigers to a win but it was Clarke who finished the game for the Panthers with her second goal of the game.

The Panthers continue to sit in the last playoff berth position with only two points on the Mount Allison Mounties. The Tigers have two points ahead of the Panthers in AUS standings, in fifth place.

First-year Maddison Clarke was named AUS Subway player of the game for the UPEI Panthers.

The Panthers are back in action Wednesday as they host the second place team in the league, the Aigles Bleues. Tigers are back at the Civic Center next Friday to take on the Huskies at 7pm.

Toronto 2 Western 1 Final Shootout Box Score
Laurentian 0 York 2 Final Box Score
McGill 0 Montreal 5 Final Box Score

Source: Earl Zukerman, McGill Sports Info

MONTREAL — Marion Allemoz scored twice and Elodie Rousseau-Sirois posted a 26-save shutout as the top-ranked Montreal Carabins flexed their muscles with five unanswered goals in a 5-0 victory over No.2-McGill in women’s hockey action at CEPSUM Arena, Friday.

Despite being the two least penalized teams in the RSEQ conference, penalties marred was expected to be a promising first-place showdown between the top two teams in the nation. The game was a rough affair featuring 13 infractions (seven by the Carabins), including three calls for roughing, three for bodychecking and one for boarding.

It was the ninth straight win for the streaking Carabins, who held a 44-26 edge in shots and went 2-for-5 on the power-play.

“We definitely got into some penalty problems that we need to avoid when going up against that team, we gave up two PP goals,” said McGill head coach Peter Smith. “It was really tough to get any rhythm going with all the calls that were made. But a number of our players are not used to how physical the game can be at this level and we struggle a bit with the physicality. In a game like that, we need to be able to push back without getting penalties. At times we didn’t push back the way we needed to.”

A punchless McGill lineup, missing injured sniper Leslie Oles, went 0-for-6 with the extra attacker. Heading into the contest, Oles, with a 12-16-28 record in 14 games, was tied with Carabins forward Ariane Barker for the RSEQ scoring lead but Barker collected an assist to extend her points streak to 13 and she now leads the race with 15-14-29 in 15 contests.

Montreal led 1-0 after the opening period on a goal by Emmanuelle Passard, her sixth of the season. The Carabins then exploded for four markers in the middle stanza, with goals from Audrey Gariepy (9th), Josianne Legault (5th) and a pair from Allemoz, who now has five.

It was another mixed grill between the pipes for McGill, with starter Brittany Smrke conceding five goals on 27 shots and dropping to 6-3-0 before being replaced in the final period by Taylor Hough, who was one of few bright spots on a dismal soiree, kicking aside all 17 shots faced.

McGill has now dropped three straight head-to-head losses to the Carabins after posting a 3-2 overtime win a preseason play and a 3-0 victory in the season opener. McGill’s lifetime record against their bitter archrivals is now at 34-10-0 overall, with one more meeting set before playoffs.

Nonetheless, McGill has clinched a playoff berth and with five games remaining before the post-season, the Martlets own an 11-4-0 record. They sit four points behind the division-leading Carabins (13-2-0), who play at Ottawa (4-11-0) on Sunday afternoon.

The Martlets don’t have much time to mull on the loss as they have to complete a seldom-seen back-to-back weekend with a home game against Carleton (3-11-0) on Saturday at 3 p.m. in a rare doubleheader at McConnell Arena. The McGill Redmen (18-5-0), currently in a three-way tie for first in the OUA East, will follow that matinee with an evening affair against visiting UOIT (9-14-1) at 7 pm.

Concordia 3 Ottawa 1 Final Box Score
Mount Royal 2 Manitoba 4 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Manitoba Sports Info

Winnipeg – The eighth-ranked Manitoba Bisons honoured senior players Jessica Rosenbaum, Michelle Pawluk, and Maggie Litchfield-Medd in a pregame ceremony before downing the Mount Royal Cougars for their seventh-straight win.

The Manitoba Bisons controlled the game from the opening face-off. Their puck movement and solid defensive play allowed no real chances for the Mount Royal Cougars, and the forecheck was rewarded just six minutes in. Nicole McGlenen’s pressure along the boards forced a turnover, and Courtlyn Oswald ripped the centering pass from McGlenen past the Cougars’ Jess Ross for the early 1-0 Bisons lead.

The Cougars, however, would use their special teams to respond. On the power play, the Cougars moved the puck around the Manitoba zone before Tanika Dawson’s shot from the point hit Bisons goaltender Rachel Dyck with a number of bodies in front. The Cougars whacked away at the rebound, and Reanna Arnold was rewarded with the power play marker after several rebound attempts to knot the game up at 1-1. The two teams would trade chances down the final 9:25, but would give way to the intermission still tied 1-1 and the Bisons leading 9-4 in shots.

The second period saw both teams go up and down the ice, but there weren’t a lot of quality chances generated. A penalty by the Cougars would prove costly, though, as Bisons’ leading scorer Alanna Sharman notched a power play goal at 12:45 on a beautiful give-and-go with Alana Serhan to put the home side up 2-1. The Bisons worked the cycle game nicely for the remaining seven minutes in the period, playing the majority of it in the Cougars’ zone.

Manitoba’s top line went to work in the final minute of the period, and a centering pass from Alanna Sharman hit a skate in front of the Cougars’ net as Jess Ross slid across the crease to her right. With the puck sitting dangerously in the crease and Ross out of position, Alana Serhan deposited it into the yawning cage and Manitoba would retire to the dressing rooms with a 3-1 lead on the scoreboard and a 24-12 lead in shots!

The third period started with a bang Manitoba’s Maggie Litchfield-Medd battled for a partial breakaway before she and Cougars defenceman Mairi Sorensen crashed heavily into netminder Jess Ross. Litchfield-Medd was called for goalie interference, and Alana Serhan joined her in the penalty box for unsportsmanlike conduct after she hammered the puck into the boards out of frustration. The five-on-three power play for Mount Royal yielded nothing, though, as Manitoba dodged a bullet.

Mount Royal found themselves down a man after Sydney Laurin was whistled for bodychecking, and the potent Manitoba power play made the night worse for Mount Royal. Michelle Pawluk found Alanna Sharman in the right corner, and she fired a centering pass out to Alana Serhan who had no problem finding the back of the net for her second goal of the night to give Manitoba a 4-1 lead.

Mount Royal would chip away at the deficit as some confusion behind the Manitoba net led to Jade Osadchuk finding the puck and centering to Sydney Laurin as Bisons goaltender Rachel Dyck was searching for the puck, and Mount Royal was back within a pair of goals as Laurin found some space on the far post behind Dyck. Manitoba would continue to control the play by bottling up the neutral zone over the remaining ten minutes, managing the clock and the game with some exceptional forechecking.

Mount Royal would send Ross to the bench for the extra attacker with 1:13 to play, but Manitoba weathered the storm to emerge victorious with their seventh-straight win in a 4-2 victory.

The Bisons and Cougars will meet in the second half of the weekend set tomorrow at 1pm at Wayne Fleming Arena.

Saskatchewan 1 Alberta 4 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Alberta Sports Info

EDMONTON – For the second-straight game, the top line of Alison Campbell, Deanna Morin, and Jessica Kampjes were crucial for victory, the No.4 University of Alberta Pandas beating the Saskatchewan Huskies by a 4-1 score, Friday night at Clare Drake Arena.

The trio had five points after a 10-point effort last Saturday, Campbell and Morin both netting a goal and an assist each while Kampjes chipped in with a helper for her team-leading 25th point of the season. Rookie forward Hannah Olenyk and fourth-year forward Gillian Altheim scored singles.

Former Brown University student Lauren Zary tallied the lone goal for the visitors, Saskatchewan dropping to 8-3-9-3 on the season and holding the fifth-place spot but sixth-place Regina gained some ground with a comeback OT victory against Calgary.

The now 16-1-6-0 Pandas stay ahead of second-place Manitoba, both squads winning in regulation on Friday to gain a full three points apiece.

Taking advantage of an early power-play, the Huskies got on the board first, scoring on the rush when sophomore forward Kaitlin Willoughby made a drop pass back into the Alberta slot where Zary shot high glove side for the 1-0 lead at the 3:42 mark of the opening frame.

The goal broke netminder Lindsey Post’s shutout streak, having just passed over 150 minutes, but her teammates responded immediately, needing only 34 seconds to equalize when Olenyk tipped the puck in the slot to trickle through the five-hole of third-year goalie Cassidy Hendricks.

With 3:18 left in the first period, the Pandas took the lead when Alberta defender Hannah Mousek passed the puck into the Saskatchewan slot, getting lost in Morin’s feet, but the former St. Albert Slash found it and threw a backhander towards the net, Campbell getting a stick on it to flip the puck over Hendricks’ pad and into the goal.

The top-ranked Panda defence then when into full shutdown mode in the second stanza, limiting the road team to only one shot over 20 minutes, despite two man-advantage opportunities and the home team only putting seven shots on goal at the other end.

Risking a possible tie game as the match continued into the final frame, Alberta claimed insurance at the 9:45 mark when Campbell fed Morin, finding a wide open lane to the Huskie net before slapping the puck past Hendricks for her fourth goal in two games.

Altheim added an empty-netter with 24.2 seconds left on the clock to finalize proceedings and give the Pandas their eighth-straight win.

Alberta finished 0-5 on the power-play while Saskatchewan went 1-5.

Game two of the weekend series goes Saturday at 6 p.m. MT at Clare Drake Arena.

Regina 6 Calgary 5 Final – OT Box Score | Recap

Source: Calgary Sports Info

CALGARY- The No.10 University of Calgary Dinos fell 6-5 in overtime against the University of Regina Cougars, on Friday night at the Father David Bauer Arena.

The Cougars looked to spoil the Dinos two-game winning streak, controlling majority of the play early in the first period.

It would be the Dinos that would prevail in scoring first though. Kelsie Lang received a pass from Janelle Parent along the blue line that she one timed on net, Toni Ross made the initial save but Jenna Smith was on her doorstop to put home the rebound on the power play.

“This week we worked on details a lot. Personally I focused on rebounds in front and just going the extra mile,” said fifth year forward Smith. “It really paid off for me, getting three goals tonight on rebounds.”

Both teams began to run into some penalty trouble in the middle stanza. Calgary would capitalize on the power play mid-way through the period when Iya Gavrilova came out of the corner and fired her 20th of the season bar down and in, glove side from the hash marks.

Regina found the back of the net 15 minutes into the second on the power play. Carleen Meszaros made a D-to-D pass on the point that Nikki Watters-Matthes put past a screened Hayley Dowling to pull Regina within one goal. Emma Waldenberger picked up a helper on the play.

The Dinos responded just two minutes later again on the power play. Stephanie Zvonkovic feed Jayme Clark who was streaking down the wall. Clark put the puck on net for Smith to tuck in her second of the night.

Special teams continued to be advantageous for the Dinos in the third period. Five minutes into the third on the power play, Gavrilova made a pass cross-crease to an awaiting Smith who redirected her third of the night past Ross.

The Cougars continued to push looking to get back in the game despite being down 4-1. The Cougars persistence paid off, scoring three back-to-back goals to tie the game 4-4. The Cougars second goal of the evening occurred just thirty seconds after the Dinos when Meghan Sherven feed Alison Larson in front who shot it five-hole on Dowling and in.

Shooting at all opportunities, Regina found the back of the net again when Kylie Gavlin fired a blind shot from the high slot on net, Stephanie Sawchuk found the rebound and pulled Regina within one goal.

The Cougars got their tying goal 13 minutes into the third when Meszaros saw Dowling was down and out of position and fired the puck from the half wall and in, tying the game 4-4.

“We let off a little and sure enough they took advantage, we gave them one opportunity and that’s all they need to get their momentum going,” explained Smith.

Gavrilova responded for the Dinos two minutes later on a partial breakaway, going back hand and upstairs, glove side and in to take a one goal lead with under five minutes remaining in the game.

Regina found momentum with a sixth attacker after pulling Ross with 1:30 left on the clock. Larson passed the puck out from behind the net to Natasha Kostenko who was alone in front to put away the game tying goal, sending the game to overtime.

It only took thirty seconds of overtime to decide the game. With Calgary about to get a penalty called on them, Ross made it off the ice to give the Cougars an extra attacker. Sawchuk went end-to-end putting her shot of the post. Gavelin found the lose puck in front and buried it to win the game 6-5.

“It’s always tough when you give up a game like that. We really need to capitalize on these games with playoffs coming up,” said Smith.

The Dinos will face off against the Cougars again tomorrow after noon at 3 p.m. at the Father David Bauer Arena.

Lethbridge 1 UBC 5 Final Box Score | Recap

Source: Rachel Villari, UBC Sports Information Assistant

The No. 9 University of British Columbia women’s hockey team defeated the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns 5-1 at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre Friday evening.

The game was an emotional one, as captain Sarah Casorso played her final regular season matchup at ‘The Doug’ before jetting off to represent Canada at the FISU Games in Granada, Spain this Saturday. In her fond farewell, she notched two goals in the third to help lift UBC over Lethbridge.

“(Sarah) Casorso’s done a lot for this program,” UBC head coachGraham Thomas said following the win. “This win was a good way to send her off. I know she’ll do well in Spain, she’ll represent UBC really well and come back and join us for playoffs.”

No one was able to make their way onto the board in the first, despite a few good looks for the Thunderbirds. Right out of the penalty box, Tatiana Rafter commanded control of the puck in the neutral zone and charged toward the net. She dumped the pass behind her for Emily O’Neill who fired a shot on goal, but was unable to find the back of the net. Rafter sprung into action again with a breakaway in the last minute of the period when UBC was on the power play. She dangled in front of Pronghorns goaltender Crystal Patterson but was unable to slip it by her.

The first goal of the game came late in the second, when Kathleen Cahoon fed Jenna Carpenter-Boesch a pass from behind the net. Carpenter-Boesch snapped it past the Pronghorns for her first goal of the season. Three minutes later came the Thunderbirds’ second of the night, off of a blooper of a shot from Rebecca Unrau. Patterson bobbled the puck and it hoped over her shoulder for Unrau’s ninth goal of the season. With it, she joins Rafter and Nicole Saxvik among UBC’s top scorers.

The ‘Birds further secured their lead with a goal early in the third from Rafter, her 10th of the season putting back in the lead among UBC goal scorers. She drove the net and snapped the puck high glove-side, faster than Patterson could respond to.

Casorso ended her regular season career on a high note, notching two goals late in the game. Her first came from a pass from Nikola Brown-John. The assist was Brown-John’s second of the night and her fifth of the year. She flipped her second in right off of a UBC faceoff win in the last minute of play. The ‘Birds were on the power play and she was able to slap it in from the high point for her eighth of the year, and 19th regular season goal of her five-year career.

The ‘Birds were unable to maintain their shutout however as the Pronghorn’s fought back with five minutes left in the third. The Pronghorns had been gaining momentum throughout the latter half of the game, beginning to catch up to UBC’s 33 shots with 23. Chelsea Kasprick was able to poke the puck through Danielle Dube’s cluttered crease for Lethbridge’s only goal of the game. The point is Kasprick’s first of the season, and it was unassisted as she persevered through a pile of bodies in front of the net.

“They played us hard,” Thomas said. “They came out playing well. We tried our best to refocus and get back to playing our game, but, it’s human nature when it’s four-nothing late in the game to kind of relax a bit. I suppose that’s the lesson we learned tonight, to never let up at any point in the game. Anything can happen.”

Lisa Trainor was also honoured along with Casors prior to the game as graduating players.

“Sarah, Lisa, and the senior class have done a lot for the program,” Thomas said following the win. “They had 10 wins in their first three years here. And now they’ve just had their 70th win—80th total, if you include playoffs and everything. They’ve been an integral part of turning the program around and that comes from the players. It comes from the players in this [graduating] group, as well as the other classes that had played alongside them, but this group’s been a big part of that. So it’s hard to say goodbye to them, it’s a little bittersweet.”

Patterson made 28 saves on 33 shots in net for Lethbridge, while Dube turned aside 22 of 23 for the home team.

Saturday’s rematch will commence at 7 p.m. PT at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre in Vancouver.