(ISN) – PISCATAWAY, N.J. – The Rutgers women’s tennis team opened its 2015 spring slate with a 6-1 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson on Thursday afternoon at the East Brunswick Racquet Club. RU begins its inaugural season in the Big Ten with a record of 1-0.
“First matches are always tough, but it’s a good starting point,” said senior captain Lindsay Balsamo (Wall, N.J.). “It lets us know what we need to work on and how we need to improve for future matches.”
With only two doubles matches in play for this afternoon’s contest, Rutgers went on to record victories in both matchups. The pair of juniors Gina Li (Hillsborough, N.J.) and Mariam Zein (Sugarland, Texas) registered the first win with a 6-2 victory over Nicole Chis and Shreya Pasricha of FDU. The duo of Balsamo and freshman Chloe Lee (Albuquerque, N.M.) also defeated FDU opponents, Gisella Castany and Mariya Krachok, by a final score of 6-4 to give the Scarlet Knights an advantage heading into singles play.
Moving to singles action, Balsamo edged Mariya Krachok of FDU at the No. 4 spot by scores of 6-4 and 6-3 to extend RU’s lead. At the No. 5 spot, Zein notched a solid win over Alex Bryant, 6-1, 6-1, to secure Rutgers victory in the contest.
Junior Lindsey Kayati (Monroeville, N.J.) and Li rounded out the victories in singles play to give the Scarlet Knights a final match score of 6-1.
Up next, Rutgers kicks off a three-game road stand with Temple on Sunday, Feb. 8 at the Atlantic Club in Manasquan, N.J. Match time is set for 2 p.m.
1. Gina Li/Mariam Zein (RU) def. Nicole Chis/Shreya Pasricha (FDU), 6-2
2. Lindsay Balsamo/Chloe Lee (RU) def. Gisella Castany (FDU), 6-4
3. Lindsey Kayati/Lee Levy (RU) won by forfeit.
1. Gina Li (RU) def. Nicole Chis (FDU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Shreya Pasricha (FDU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Gisella Castany (FDU) def. Chloe Lee (RU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Mariya Krachok (FDU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Alex Bryant (FDU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Lee Levy (RU) def. FDU by forfeit.