Brant Curling Club in Brantford, Ontario is seeking responses from qualified curling ice technicians to fill the position of Head Ice Technician for the 2015-16 curling season.
Reporting to the Club General Manager, this position is seasonal from September 2015 to April 23, 2016.
The Brant Curling Club, established in 1945, serves Brantford with five sheets of curling ice, food service and lounge.
Curling at the Brant starts the first week of October each year and ends mid-April.
The purpose of this request for expression of interest is to gauge the interest of qualified ice technicians across the country in joining the Brant Club. Then, using a qualification-based evaluation system, we hope to select the best individual to join our club. Our goal is to achieve predictable curling ice across all sheets that will appeal to both the club and competitive curler.
You can see us at http://brantcurlingclub.ca
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
This is the first stage of a three stage selection process the club will be using in our search. It is the club’s intent, following our review of the expression of interests, to prepare a short-list of ice technicians that we believe, based on a qualification-based evaluation, will be suitable for our club. Stage two will be to invite the short-listed candidates to respond to a request for proposal where the club will provide further information to the invited candidates about the club, our structure and Head Ice Technician roles/responsibilities. Stage three is the selection of a preferred candidate and entrance into compensation and contractual discussions with that candidate.
Responses from qualified individuals, who wish to be considered for this position, will be accepted until 2:00 p.m. EST on April 30, 2015. We would appreciate if you can limit your responses to a maximum of six double sided pages, not including appendices.
Submissions will be accepted by email only and can be sent to the club General Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the deadline stated above.
Submissions received after the deadline may not be considered.
The following provides a guideline for your response, but we encourage you to add any additional information that you think will assist us in our selection process.
• Please provide a brief outline of your direct and relevant experience as an ice technician including where and how long your experience has been attained.
• List your work with major events including any WCF, CCA, USCA or provincial association(s), the name and year of the event and your role with that event.
• Relate your experience with supervising, mentoring and training assistant ice technicians.
• Relate your experience at assisting clubs, management and Boards of Directors in preparing and monitoring annual operating budgets for ice and plant activities.
• Describe your past experiences on working with a volunteer Board of Directors and a club General Manager.
• Please outline any formal training ice technician you have received through either the CCA or other training organizations. Include your highest level of certification achieved. Please append copies of your certificates with your submission.
• If you do not have a formal certification, please describe why you would be uniquely qualified for this position based on your experience.
• Please provide at least three references that can attest to your abilities to make good ice including former or current employers.
• Your references should include at least one that can attest to your character, your personality and your ability to work effectively with a not-for-profit Board of Directors.
Your Approach to Ice Making
Limited to three pages, we’d like you to outline your approach to making good and consistent curling ice. Include factors such as:
• Temperature and humidity
• Initial flooding
• Pebbling and nipping
• Inducing curl
• Regular maintenance such as burning and mid-season floods
• Rock maintenance
• A list of equipment you prefer to use, or own and wish to use at CNCC
All responses will be evaluated on a 100 point evaluation system with the scoring outlined as follows:
• Experience – 20 points
• Qualifications – 20 points
• References – 20 points
• Your approach – 40 points
The Brant Curling Club reserves the right to contact, by phone or email, any or all respondents for additional information.
Questions to this Request for Expression of Interest
Any questions relating to this Request may be directed by email to:
The Brant Curling Club
34 Morrell Street
Brantford, ON N3T 4J2