2016 Canadian draft list
Letters of Intent
By Adam Morissette
Score: Canada (18U) 14 Clearwater Christian College 5
Location: Walter Fuller Complex, St. Petersburg, Florida
Weather: 25 degrees Celsius, Sunny
Canada 18U Starting Lineup:
1. Miles Gordon – CF
2. Kobe Hyland – SS
3. Demi Orimoloye – DH
4. Tristan Pompey – LF
5. Andrew Yerzy – DH
6. Royce Ando – 2B
7. JF Garon – RF
8. Peter Hutzal – 3B
9. Darren Shred – 1B
10. Ben Komonosky – C
11. Isaac Deveaux – DH
Starting Pitcher: RHP Austin Shields
HOW IT HAPPENED
Miles Gordon (Oakville, Ont.) jumped on the first pitch he saw in the bottom of the first sending as ball to wall in right-centre and showed off his tremendous speed for a leadoff triple. With one-out, Tristan Pompey (Milton, Ont.) grounded out to third and Gordon was able to scamper home with the game’s first run.
The juniors exploded for five runs in the second on six hits including three extra-base hits. Peter Hutzal (Calgary, Alta.) got things going with an RBI triple to score JF Garon (Terrebonne, Que.). Darren Shred (Brampton, Ont.) and Ben Komonosky (Regina, Sask.) then hit back-to-back RBI doubles and later in the frame Kobe Hyland (Spruce Grove, AB) cashed in two runners with a single to centre.
In the third, Shred drove in his second run of the game with a single and Hutzal was awarded home plate after a called balk that put the juniors up by eight.
– Clearwater College got back into the game in the fourth taking advantage of five walks, a base hit and pair of wild pitches that led to KristjanStorrie (Langley, BC) being removed from the game in favor of Tyler Whitbread (Camlachie, Ont.). With runners on second and third, a ball was lifted to right that brought in the fifth run of the inning on a sacrifice fly to cap the five-run inning.
– After Clearwater’s five spot, the juniors came back with four runs in the bottom of the inning. Garon ad the big blow hitting a two-run double to left, while Andrew Yerzy (Toronto, Ont.) had an RBI single. Pompey singled and came around to score on a fielding error at third base.
– Pompey picked up his second RBI of the day in the sixth driving in Gordon on a sacrifice fly to increase the juniors’ lead to eight. Gordon had led-off with a walk and moved to third when Cooper Lamb (Burlington, Ont.) doubled to left.
– After Hutzal reached on a ball that got by the first baseman for an error, Shred kept his hot bat going picking up his second double of the game that scored Hutzal to give Shred his third RBI.
– Starting pitcher Austin Shields (Dundas, Ont.) worked his way out trouble in the top of the first as he struck out a pair and got a force out at second base after he walked two and allowed a single to load the bases with nobody out.
– Shields benefitted from a rare, 7-5, fielder’s choice, as a ball fell into shallow left with runners on first and second that saw left fielder Pompey promptly pick up the ball and fire to third baseman Hutzal to easily force out the runner who had held up at second base.
– Shields tossed three scoreless inning leaving runners on base in each frame. He allowed two hits, walked four and struck out five batters.
– It took Clearwater College until the fifth to hold the juniors off the scoreboard as they recorded a 1-2-3 frame.
– Whitbread did a nice job in relief after coming in for Storrie with one out in the fourth. Whitbread went 3 2/3 innings without allowing an earned run, allowed three hits and a walk, and struck out two batters.
– Coach Shawn Bowman(Port Moody, BC) threw the ninth inning — causing all the scouts to leave — recording two strikeouts, while getting a groundout to end the game.
Hits: 3, Shred (3/4)
Runs: 3, Gordon, Hutzal
Doubles: 2, Shred
Triples: 1, Gordon
RBIs: 3, Shred
Stolen bases: 2, Orimoloye
Strikeouts: 5, Shields
The Juniors will be back at the Walter Fuller Complex tomorrow to face a group of prospects from the Detroit Tigers organization at 1pm ET … LHP Vincent Beauregard (Laval, QC) is scheduled to start on the mound … The game can be heard live online by visiting radiostpete.com and you can also get live updates by following @Team_C_Updates on Twitter.