(ISN) – SEATTLE – The USA Rugby Academy, powered by Serevi®, has announced dates and locations for its 2015 series of High Performance Resident Camps aimed at identifying top players and providing a specific development pathway to the men’s and women’s U.S. National Teams. Working alongside USA Rugby, Serevi will host four resident camps around the country providing the nation’s top young rugby players and crossover athletes with a unique, five-day immersive training experience to build on- and off-field skills. U.S. National Team and Serevi Rugby coaches will participate throughout the program to help identify young players for additional development and future national team consideration.
“The Resident Camp experience allows for players to be immersed in a national team training environment at world-class facilities, learning what it takes on and off the field to compete at the highest level,” said Emilie Bydwell, Serevi’s director of the USA Rugby Academy. “We’ve added new locations and new features to the camp this year to ensure we continually improve the experience for our most promising athletes.”
The 2015 USA Rugby Academy powered by Serevi Resident Camps will be held at:
- Women’s Elite: Infinity Park – Glendale, Colo. June 23-27
- Girl’s & Boy’s High School: Rutgers University – New Jersey July 19-23
- Girl’s & Boy’s High School: University of Washington – Seattle August 2-6
- Men’s Elite: Hypo2 Sport Center – Flagstaff, Ariz. August 4-8
Serving as one entry point for the USA age-grade, sevens, and XVs programs, athletes can attend Resident Camps through invitation by USA National Team coaches based on demonstrated abilities or by applying directly at serevirugby.com/usa-rugby-academy. Resident Camps are unique, individual opportunities for Serevi and USA Rugby coaches to work with the nation’s most promising athletes.
This year’s Resident Camps will emphasize skill development, unit skills, situational awareness, and decision-making. In addition to on-field instruction, Resident Camps uniquely offer athletes strength and conditioning, game analysis, nutrition, mental skills, and college advisement.
New to the USA Rugby Academy Resident Camp experience in 2015:
- Camp attendees will have access to College Connection, a hands-on education program to help student-athletes navigate the process and connect with college coaches. This program is provided through a partnership with The Rugger’s Edge, the premiere college athletic advisor for male and female rugby players.
- All athletes will receive the first two months free and exclusive Serevi subscription pricing to Volt Athletics rugby-specific High Performance strength programs to ensure they can continue conditioning after camp. Volt provides each athlete with a customized, sport-specific, and cloud-based strength and conditioning program delivered to their smartphone or tablet.
- To ensure high performance programming is available to all athletes, Serevi and World Rugby Shop are providing 100 scholarships for young rugby athletes seeking to attend a USA Rugby Academy Resident or Training Camp. Players interested in learning more and applying for a scholarship can visit: serevirugby.com/pages/info/index/page/scholarships.
USA Rugby and Serevi coaches at the 2015 Resident Camps will include: Waisale Serevi (World Rugby Hall of Fame), Ric Suggitt (USA Women’s Eagles Sevens head coach), Justin Fitzpatrick (USA Men’s Eagles forwards coach), Ben Gollings (World Rugby Sevens World Series all-time leading points scorer), Richie Walker (USA Women’s Eagles Sevens assistant coach), Matt Hawkins (USA Eagle, former USA Men’s Eagles Sevens head coach), Emilie Bydwell (USA Eagle, Girls High School All-Americans powered by Serevi coach), Chris Tombs (Serevi High Performance director), Pate Tuilevuka (USA Eagle), and Shawn Pittman (USA Eagle).
Full details about the upcoming series of USA Rugby Academy Resident and High Performance Camps, including registration, is available at serevirugby.com/usa-rugby-academy.