(ISN) – WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The Purdue men’s tennis team fell to the No. 68 Iowa Friday on the Basham Courts at the Schwartz Tennis Center. The loss drops the Boilermakers’ record to 4-13, 0-5 B1G, while the Hawkeyes improve to 11-5, 3-2 B1G.
In doubles play, Purdue gained the early advantage and jumped out with a win at the No. 1 spot. The Boilermaker tandem of Ricky Medinilla and Diego Acosta bested Iowa’s Lefteris Theodorou and Stieg Martens, 8-3. With the win the sophomore/senior pair picked up their seventh win of the season. However, the Hawkeyes rallied back to clinch the doubles point by taking No. 3, followed by No. 2.
Iowa carried its momentum from doubles into singles by winning the first two matches at Nos. 6 and 1. Mateus Silva put the Old Gold & Black on the board with a win at the No. 3 position against Iowa’s Lefteris Theodorou, 6-4, 6-2. All of Silva’s wins this season have been in straight sets and the junior notched his first B1G win of the spring season.
The Hawkeyes were able to wrap up the dual match win with a victory at No. 5. Iowa’s Stieg Martens defeated Purdue sophomore Lucas Dages in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The Boilermakers continue their stretch of B1G play on Sunday. First serves against No. 73 Nebraska, who lost to No. 44 Indiana 6-1 on Friday, are scheduled for 1 p.m. ET from the Schwartz Tennis Center.
No. 68 IOWA 4, PURDUE 1
1. Diego Acosta/Ricky Medinilla (Purdue) def. Lefteris Theodorou/Stieg Martens (Iowa), 8-3
2. Matt Hagan/Jake Jacoby (Iowa) def. Mateus Silva/Renan Hanayama (Purdue), 8-3
3. Dominic Patrick/Josh Silverstein (Iowa) def. Lucas Dages/Arthur Dobradin (Purdue), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. No. 96 Matt Hagan (Iowa) def. Diego Acosta (Purdue), 7-5, 6-4
2. Ricky Medinilla (Purdue) vs. Dominic Patrick (Iowa), 7-6 (8), 3-4 DNF
3. Mateus Silva (Purdue) def. Lefteris Theodorou (Iowa) 6-4, 6-2
4. Arthur Dobradin (Purdue) vs. Josh Silverstein (Iowa), 7-6 (7), 4-4 DNF
5. Stieg Martens (Iowa) def. Lucas Dages (Purdue), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jake Jacoby (Iowa) def. Matt Bouggy (Purdue), 6-1. 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3, 5