(ISN) – BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The Indiana women’s tennis team fell to No. 14 Michigan on Sunday afternoon, 7-0.
Michigan (17-3, 8-0) claimed the doubles point to start as its two ranked doubles tandems of 12th-ranked Emina Bektas and Alex Najarian (No. 1) and 58th-ranked Ronit Yurovsky and Sarah Lee (No. 2) clinched it for the Wolverines.
Singles was much of the same as Michigan clinched the team win with wins at No. 1, No. 5 and No. 2 to start.
Indiana’s (12-7, 3-4) Shannon Murdy went to a third-set match tiebreaker at No. 3 before eventually falling to Najarian, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2). Kim Schmider fought in a nail biter at No. 6 against Sara Remynse dropping the first set before taking the second. In the third set tiebreak, Remynse would outlast Schmider to take the match, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (13-11).
“Everything considered, it was a good weekend for us,” head coach Lin Loring said. “Michigan State was a must win for us if we wanted to try and get a first round bye at the Big Ten Championships. Also, they are nationally ranked ahead of us, so that also made it an important win. We knew we were underdogs against Michigan, so we made the decision to sit two of our starters who are playing injured so that we could be successful in our final four matches. I still felt we played very competitive against Michigan in many spots. We did several good things that we can build on. We have four conferences matches remaining and all four are up for grabs. If we get healthy and keep playing like we are, we should be very competitive in all four matches.”
The Hoosiers will return to the courts next weekend in Bloomington to take on Maryland on April 11 and then Rutgers on April 12.
No. 14 Michigan 7, No. 58 Indiana 0
1. No. 23 Emina Bektas (UM) def. Katie Klyczek (IU) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 26 Ronit Yurovsky (UM) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Alex Najarian (UM) def. Shannon Murdy (IU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
4. Sarah Lee (UM) def. Carolyn Chupa (IU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mira Ruder-Hook (UM) def. Sarah Baron (IU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Sara Remynse (UM) def. Kim Schmider (IU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (13-11)
1. No. 12 Bektas/Najarian (UM) def. Chupa/Kauss (IU) 8-0
2. No. 58 Yurovsky/Lee (UM) def. Schmider/Klyczek (IU) 8-6
3. Ruder-Hook/Remynse (UM) vs. Smith/Murdy (IU) 7-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2) Singles (1, 5, 2, 4, 3, 6)