OAKLAND ATHLETICS (12-20) vs. SEATTLE MARINERS (13-17)
Saturday, May 9, 2015 · Safeco Field
|First Pitch: 6:10 pm||Time of Game: 3:36||Temp: 79º/W at 3 mph||Attendance: 37,441|
WP: J.A. Happ (3-1, 3.29) LP: Jesse Hahn (1-3, 4.73)
|Mark Canha (OAK)||5||Farquhar||8||0||0||3-2||392 ft/LF|
- Starter J.A. Happ is now 2-0 with a 2.43 ERA (8 ER, 29.2 IP) in 6 games including 4 starts against Oakland.
o In 4 career starts is 2-0 with a 1.43 ERA (4 ER, 25.1 IP) with 22 strikeouts vs. Oakland.
- J.A. Happ has 23 strikeouts over his last 3 starts (8 tonight), after only 9 strikeouts in his first 3 starts.
- Nelson Cruz recorded his AL-leading 27th RBI…12 of 27 RBI have given the Mariners a lead (leads MLB).
o 2-for-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB tonight for his team-leading 13th multi-hit game of the season.
o Batting .347 for the season, currently T3rd-best in the American League.
- Robinson Canó is hitting .351 (13×37) with 3 runs, 3 doubles, and 3 RBI over his last 9 games (since April 30).
o Had a season-high tying 3 hits tonight (also: April 19 vs. Texas & May 5 at Los Angeles (AL).
o Recorded his 11th multi-hit game of the season (3×5 tonight).
o Is hitting .471 (8×17) over his last 4 games.
- Seattle’s bullpen allowed 1 run in 4.0 innings tonight and 1 run over last 10 innings the last two games.
o Over the previous 7 games (April 30-May 6) had a 6.32 ERA (11 ER, 15.2 IP).
- Seattle’s pitching staff struck out 13 batters tonight and 14 batters last night.
o It is just the 11th time in club history to strike out 13+ hitters in back-to-back games.
§ Last: July 18-19, 2014 vs. Los Angeles Angels.
- Lloyd McClendon recorded his 100th career win with the Mariners.
o Has 436 career managerial wins (336 with Pittsburgh, 100 with Seattle).
- The Mariners are 11-5 when scoring first this season and 2-12 when their opponent scores first.
- Oakland has lost four in a row and is 4-12 over its last 16 games (since April 23).
- Oakland is 8 games under .500 for the first time since June 12, 2012 (27-35).
- Jesse Hahn is 1-1 with a 2.50 ERA (5 ER, 18.0 IP) over three career starts against Seattle.
- Jesse Hahn has allowed 6 runs in each of his last two starts.
o In his last 3 starts has a 4.74 ERA (17 ER, 32.1 IP), all Oakland losses.
§ Over his first 3 starts of the season had a 2.12 ERA (4 ER, 17.0 IP).
- The A’s have recorded a season-high 4 errors…first 4-error game since Aug. 22, 2012 vs. Minnesota.
- Oakland RHP Angel Castro made his Major League debut in the bottom of the 6th inning.
- Eric Sogard extended his hitting streak to five games (since May 5)
o During the streak is hitting .389 (7×18) with 1 double.
- Marcus Semien had a season-high tying 3 hits (also: April 29 vs. Los Angeles-AL).
o Stole a career-high 2 stolen bases and is now a perfect 6-for-6 this season in stolen base attempts.
ATHLETICS MANAGER BOB MELVIN:
On Oakland’s fielding errors
“We’re making some young mistakes…we have a lot of range, we get to a lot of balls and then end up making a mistake. It’s the consistency of it: we’ll play a really good game where we’ll make some great plays and then we’ll play another game where we make four errors and you’re not going to win any games making four errors.”
“I think everything can be contagious. It can continue: you struggle, you press a little bit as a group.”
On Hahn’s performance
“[He was] a little inconsistent, he’s been really good when he’s pounding the zone, throwing strikes…when he’s not, he’s behind guys, it’s a little tougher for him. When you put some extra guys on base that makes it a little more difficult for him, whether that be errors or walks.”