OAKLAND ATHLETICS (12-21) vs. SEATTLE MARINERS (14-17)
Sunday, May 10, 2015 · Safeco Field
|First Pitch: 1:10 pm||Time of Game: 2:36||Temp: 65º/S at 4 mph||Attendance: 42,831|
WP: Felix Hernandez (6-0, 1.85) LP: Jesse Chavez (1-3, 2.56)
SV: Fernando Rodney (9)
|Marcus Semien (OAK)||4||Hernandez||3||0||2||0-0||403/ LC|
|Marcus Semien (OAK)||5||Hernandez||6||0||0||1-2||382/LC|
|Stephen Vogt (OAK)||8||Rodney||9||0||1||3-2||345/RF|
- Seattle swept Oakland in this 3-game set, outscoring them 15-8.
o It is the first sweep against Oakland since taking a 3-game set Aug. 1-3, 2011.
o It is the Mariners 2nd sweep of the season (swept Rangers in Texas April 27-29).
- Felix Hernandez recorded his 2,000th career strikeouts (Sam Fuld) in the 5th inning.
o He’s the 4th-youngest pitcher to record his 2,000th Major League strikeout.
§ Behind only Bert Blyleven (28.097), Sam McDowell (28,228) & Walter Johnson (28.235).
- Felix Hernandez improved to 6-0 this season and has won 7 straight decisions dating to 2014.
o During the streak, he is 7-0 with a 1.67 ERA (10 ER, 54.0 IP) with 57 strikeouts.
o The 7 consecutive wins is T3rd-longest win streak (in decisions) of his career.
§ Last had 7+ straight wins in career-high 9-game streak June 23-Aug. 27, 2012.
- Felix Hernandez won his 131st career game, passing Randy Johnson for 2nd on the Mariners all-time wins list.
o Trails only Jamie Moyer (145) on the Mariners all-time wins list.
- Felix Hernandez is now 20-7 with a 2.63 ERA (75 ER, 256.1 IP) with 240 strikeouts in 37 starts vs. Oakland.
o In his last 8 starts vs. Oakland is 5-0 with a 2.54 ERA (16 ER, 56.2 IP) with 47 strikeouts.
- Dustin Ackley recorded a go-ahead 2-run double in the 4th inning to give Seattle the lead.
o Entered the game 0-for-16 with runners in scoring position this season before the hit.
- Seattle improved to 8-7 at Safeco Field and have won 5 of the last 7 home games (since April 22).
- Oakland has lost a season-high 5 straight games; its first five-game losing streak since Aug. 13-17, 2014.
o The Athletics are nine games under .500 for the first time since June 10, 2012.
- The Athletics have committed at least 1 error in each of their last 8 games (12 error total) and have a Major League leading 33 errors this season…Oakland is 7-16 when committing and error this season.
- Marcus Semien recorded his first career multi-home run game with solo home runs in both 3rd and 6th innings.
o Six of Semien’s 13 career home runs have come with 2 strikes.
- Marcus Semien has recorded 3 hits in each of his last two games; now has 6 career 3+ hit games.
o Over his last 18 games is hitting .361 (26×72) with 12 runs, 5 doubles, 3 home runs and 5 RBI.
§ Has 9 multi-hit games during the 18 game stretch since April 22.
- Stephen Vogt tied a career high with 3 hits (8th time, last: May 4 at Minnesota).
o Has three 3-hit games this season: April 17 at Kansas City, May 4 at Minnesota & May 10 at Seattle.
o Recorded his 8th home run of the season with solo run in the top of the 9th inning (last: 5/4 at MIN)
§ 7 of his 8 home runs this season have come on the road.
- Jesse Chavez is now 0-3 with a 3.03 ERA (12 ER, 35.2 IP) with 33 strikeouts in 13 games (4 GS) vs. Seattle.
o As a starter is 0-3 with a 4.50 ERA (12 ER, 24.0 IP) with 20 strikeouts in 4 starts vs. Seattle, losing his last 3 starts.
ATHLETICS MANAGER BOB MELVIN:
On the performance of Felix Hernandez
“He was good enough to beat us. We had some good at-bats early, maybe not as good later… [Marcus] Semien’s at-bats were terrific, he hit two home runs off a guy who just doesn’t give up many.
On turning the season around after a 12-21 start
“We’re gonna start winning when we get home. We are. Our record is not indicative of how good we are. We’re in every game. Small, little things are going to make the difference for us and we’re gonna start winning.