CALGARY, Alta. – Hockey Canada released the names of the 43 players invited to Canada’s National Women’s Development Team selection camp in Calgary, Aug. 6-16, 2015.
The camp – part of Hockey Canada’s National Teams’ Summer Showcase – is hosted at the Markin MacPhail Centre at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park, and will see the 43 invitees vying for spots on the 23-player squad that will travel to Lake Placid, N.Y., for a three-game series against the United States’ Women’s Under-22 Select Team Aug. 19-22.
The 43 players attending Canada’s National Women’s Development Team selection camp will be split into two teams, Blue and Gold, which will participate in several practices andintrasquad games, as well as off-ice dryland training, fitness testing, and high-performance classroom sessions. Intrasquad games are free and open to the public.
The final team roster will be selected by Melody Davidson, Hockey Canada’s general manager of national women’s team programs, along with head coach Dwayne Gylywoychuk,assistant coaches Delaney Collins and Darren Turcotte, goaltending coach Amanda Mazzotta and Hockey Canada regional scouts.
“With the depth Canadian women’s hockey continues to have, there are no easy decisions when it comes to camp invites,” said Davidson. “That’s a great problem for us to have as a staff, and we’re looking forward to having these 43 athletes on the ice in Calgary next month to get the 2015-16 season started.”
The selection camp roster includes six goaltenders, 13 defencemen and 24 forwards. Invitations are based on evaluations by Hockey Canada scouts during the 2014-15 season, including past performances within Canada’s National Women’s Program, with their club and school teams, and national championships with Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), as well as fitness testing conducted at Canada’s National Women’s Development Team conditioning camp held in Hamilton, Ont., in May.
Canada’s National Women’s Development Team selection camp roster features:
- Four players who won a silver medal with Canada’s National Women’s Team at the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship in Malmö, Sweden (Clark, Desbiens, Krzyzaniak, Maschmeyer);
- 11 players who won a gold medal with Canada’s National Women’s Development Team at the 2015 Nations Cup in Füssen, Germany (Bach, Capizzano, Desbiens, Dubois, Fast, Howe, Kohler, Lefort, MacAulay, Nurse, Stacey);
- 10 players who won a silver medal with Canada’s National Women’s Under-18 Team at the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship in Buffalo, N.Y. (Cogan, Coutu-Godbout, Hart, Higham, Labbe, McGill, Potomak, Pozzebon, Sucharda, Tse).
Canada’s National Women’s Development Team selection camp invitees, by province:
- Ontario – 23 (Ambrose, Bach, Bunton, Capizzano, Channell, Chuli, Cogan, Fast, Howe, Kohler, Korbs, Leslie, Leveille, McGill, McKibbon, Mercer, Noronha, Nurse, Pozzebon, Stacey, Sucharda, Tiley, Tse)
- Quebec – eight (Cormier, Coutu-Godbout, Desbiens, Drouin, Dubois, Lalancette, Landry, Lefort)
- Alberta – five (Healey, Heffernan, Labbe, Maschmeyer, Murray)
- British Columbia – three (Bilic, Hart, Potomak)
- Manitoba – two (Higham, Krzyzaniak)
- Prince Edward Island – one (MacAulay)
- Saskatchewan – one (Clark)
Following the series, Hockey Canada scouts, along with the team’s coaching staff, will continue to evaluate players with their club teams during the 2015-16 season, in preparation for selecting the Canadian team that will compete at the 2016 Nations Cup in Germany next January, as well as possible invites to camps and events with Canada’s National Women’s Team.