Mann Cup Tied as Lakers Dominate Game 2

Shamrocks Logo1 large

By Janice Huckin

The Peterborough Lakers came into game 2 of the Mann Cup at the Q Centre Saturday and pretty much dominated the Shamrocks from beginning to end, holding period leads of 4-2 and 9-5 on their way to a 14-7 victory to even the best-of-seven series 1-1.

The starting goaltenders were once again Aaron Bold and Matt Vinc for the Shamrocks and Lakers respectively. Peterborough opened the scoring just 32 seconds into the contest with a high shot late in the 30-second clock off the stick of Adam Jones. Jones put the visitors up by a pair with another at 3:12. While Victoria’s offense struggled, defender Matt Yager got the Rocks on the board with a break away unassisted goal at 6:49 off transition and Karsen Leung drew the Shamrocks even at 10:58 with a hard shot from the dotted line. Unfortunately, they could not maintain that momentum and gave up a pair of Peterborough tallies before the period ended, Chad Culp scoring at 16:29 from in close and Curtis Dickson adding another at 17:50 to give the Lakers the 4-2 lead after 20 minutes. Shots favoured Victoria by a 15-10 margin but they looked the more tired of the two teams.

The Shamrocks got within a goal early in the middle frame, Jesse King scoring at the 38-second mark, getting in close late in the 30-second clock but penalty problems gave Peterborough a chance and they made the most of it with Mark Steenhaus scoring at 1:09 to regain the 2-goal lead. Not to be outdone, yet another defender got a shorthanded marker for the Shamrocks, Greg Harnett scoring at 1:17 off the faceoff. The teams traded goals, Dickson picking up his second for the Lakers at 4:10 and King replying for the Shamrocks at 4:48, also his second of the contest with a quick stick.

That was as close as Victoria would come as Peterborough rattled off three unanswered to take a 9-5 lead after two periods. The second period was also marred by numerous penalties and skirmishes as the officiating once again sub-par. But things got even uglier in the third period.

Peterborough dominated period 3, scoring 5 times and driving Aaron Bold from the Victoria crease at the 15:47 mark. Matt Roik took over between the pipes and allowed one goal. Several players were penalized and banished when Peterborough’s Shawn Evans was called for a 5-minute spearing infraction, prompting Rory Smith to jump in and face down a couple of players. Peterborough’s Tanner Evans was given a game misconduct, presumably for being the third (or fourth) man in. Curtis Dickson led Peterborough’s offense with 4 goals and 3 helpers and was named their player of the game. Adam Jones chipped in 3 goals and 3 assists while Shawn Evans had 4 assists. Mark Steenhaus and Chad Culp each picked up a pair of goals.

With all the offensive firepower available in Victoria’s line-up, only Jesse King managed a pair of goals. Karsen Leung and Rhys Duch each chipped in a goal and 2 assists with Leung being Victoria’s player of the game. There is obviously some bad blood brewing between the two teams and the nonsense will probably continue in game 3 should the officiating remain relatively unexplainable. Game 3 takes place Monday at 7:00 pm at the Q Centre.