LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western men’s soccer team will have its hands full in its home-opening weekend, as No. 8 ranked Victoria and No. 7 ranked UBC will provide the opposition Friday and Saturday at Rogers Field.
After winning the first two games of the regular season, the Spartans return home looking to build upon its early momentum while aiming to take points from two of the top teams in the country.
Friday, Sept. 18 – vs. Victoria – 7:15 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 19 – vs. UBC – 7:15 p.m.
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (2-0-0)
CIS ranking: NR
Pacific Division Standings: 2nd
Last game: UBCO (1-0 W)
Streak: 2 wins
2014-15 CW Regular Season Record: 3-6-3
2014-15 CW Playoff Record: NA
2014-15 Overall Record: 3-6-3
Last CW Title/Total CW Titles: 2007/3
Last CIS Title/Total CIS Titles: N/A
- The Spartans back-to-back wins to open the season marked the first time since 2008 that they have started a regular season with consecutive victories.
- The last time TWU started a season with three consecutive wins was in 2007. That year, the Spartans won six in a row before their first setback.
- Goalie Andrew Hicks leads Canada West with a .923 save percentage and is tied for the conference lead with a 0.50 goals against average.
- TWU’s four goals have come from four different goal-scorers, including Jarvis Ambaka, Leighton Johnson, Aidan Moore and Joel Waterman.
- Last year, the Spartans posted 0-1-1 records against both UBC and Victoria.
CIS ranking: No. 8
West Division Standings: 1st
Last game: UNBC (5-3 W)
Streak: 2 wins
2014-15 CW Regular Season Record: 8-1-3
2014-15 CW Playoff Record: 0-2
Last CW Title/Total CW Titles: 2009/16
Last CIS Title/Total CIS Titles: 2011/5
- The Vikes are coming off a wild game against UNBC in which they fell behind 3-1 in the 63rd minute, before rallying with four goals in less than 12 minutes to win 5-3.
- Craig Gorman leads Victoria with three goals on the season and is the Canada West leader in shots, with 18.
- The last time Victoria came to Langley, the teams played to a 0-0 draw on Oct. 10, 2014.
- Victoria leads Canada West with 18.7 shots per game.
CIS ranking: No. 7
West Division Standings: 5th
Last game: Victoria (1-1 T)
Streak: 1 tie
2014-15 CW Regular Season Record: 9-2-1
2014-15 CW Playoff Record: 2-1
2014-15 Overall Record: 12-4-1
Last CW Title/Total CW Titles: 2013/15
Last CIS Title/Total CIS Titles: 2013/13
- The Thunderbirds get back on the pitch after an early-season week off. During its bye week, UBC travelled down to Seattle and played NCAA Div. I No. 9-ranked University of Washington, losing 1-0.
- Against the Huskies, UBC equaled UW with 13 total shots and four shots on target.
- Veteran striker Gagan Dosanjh, who is back with UBC after having spent time with FC Edmonton, has UBC’s lone goal this year.
- The last time UBC travelled to Langley, the T-Birds earned a 3-0 win on Oct. 11, 2014.