VICTORIA – Vikes head coach Brent Fougner and the University of Victoria Vikes cross-country and track program are excited to announce the addition of 17-year-old Nanaimo, B.C. prospect Vikes track add Nanaimo prospect Mousseau to ranks for 2016-17 Mousseau to their ranks beginning in the 2016-17 season. Specializing in the 800-metre and 1500-metre, Mousseau will bring a wealth of experience with her to the Vikes despite her young career.
“The opportunity to compete with the best in the CIS conference excites me tremendously, even more so since I’ll be wearing the gold and blue of a Vike,” commented Mousseau. “UVic is everything I was looking for in a university and I can’t wait to explore my future as a student and as a runner next year.”
In 2015, Mousseau raced for Canada in the 800-metre at the IAAF World Youth Championships in Santiago de Cali, Columbia where she finished 25th. The five-foot-three Wellington Secondary School product is a B.C. Provincial Club champion and three-time winner from 2013-15 in the 800-metre at the BC High School Championship. This past season included setting a new best time of 2:09.04 in the 800-metre at this year’s meet.
Back home in her hometown of Nanaimo, B.C., Mousseau has not been short of accolades. Mousseau was named Nanaimo Track and Field Club’s Outstanding Female Track Athlete and has twice been named the club’s Outstanding Youth Girl from 2014-15. Most recently she was named the 2015 Junior Female Individual Athlete of the Year at the 2016 Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards.
Mousseau is no stranger to cross-country as well, having been a member of the B.C. Youth Team for cross-country in 2014 and 2015. At the 2015 BC High School Cross Country Championships, Mousseau finished 13th individually and was a team gold medallist before earning a silver medal as part of the 2015 Canadian Cross Country Youth Girls Team.
Mousseau will begin her varsity career as a Vike in September of 2016.
Full Name: Alyssa Larie Mousseau
Events/Specialty Races: 800m, 1500m
Intended major/program at UVic: Kinesiology
High School: Wellington Secondary School
Hometown: Nanaimo, B.C.
- 2016 Nanaimo Sport Achievement Awards “2015 Junior Female Individual Athlete of the Year”
- 2015 Nanaimo Track and Field Club “Outstanding Female Track Athlete”
- 2015 Nanaimo Track and Field Club “Outstanding Youth Girl”
- 2015 Nanaimo’s “Junior Female Individual Athlete of the Year”
- 2015 Nanaimo News Bulletin “Athlete of the Year”
- 2015 “Outstanding Female Athlete” at the Vancouver Island Track and Field Championships
- 2015 Wellington’s Female Track and Field Athlete Award
- 2014 Nanaimo Track and Field Club “Outstanding Youth Girl”
- 2014 Wellington’s Female Track and Field Athlete Award
Previous teams competed for:
- 2015 Team Canada IAAF Youth Worlds (800m)
- 2015 BC Junior Team (800m)
- 2015 BC Youth Team (800m)
- 2015 BC Youth Team (Cross Country)
- 2014 BC Youth Team (800m)
- 2014 BC Youth Team (Cross Country)
- 2015 IAAF World Youth Championships: 25th 800m
- 2015 BC High School Champion: 2:09.04 800m
- 2015 BC Provincial Club Champion: 800m
- 2015 Portland Track Festival: 2:09.64 800m
- 2015 Ken Shannon Invitational Meet: 1st place, 2:09.63 800m
- 2015 Legion National Youth Championship: 4th 800m
- 2015 Canadian Cross Country Youth Girls Team Silver Medalist
- 2015 Canadian Cross Country Championship Youth Girls: 16th
- 2015 Provincial Cross Country Championship Youth Girls: 4th
- 2015 BC High School Cross Country Championships: 13th Individually, Team Gold Medalist
- 2014 BC Cross Country Provincial Championships: 5th
- 2014 BC High School Cross Country Championships: 8th
- 2014 National Youth Championships: 4th 800m
- 2014 BC High School Champion: 800m
- 2013 BC High School Champion: 800m