Road to Hardy Cup kicks off September 1 in Winnipeg
NEW WESTMINSTER – The road to the 80th Hardy Cup kicks off Thursday, September 1 in Winnipeg, as the Manitoba Bisons host the Calgary Dinos in the opener of the 2016 Canada West football season
A total of 24 conference regular season games along with a trio of Hardy Cup playoff games are on the 2016 schedule, as the Canada West football schedule was released Wednesday.
The defending Hardy and Vanier Cup champion UBC Thunderbirds enter the season looking to become the first Canada West team to repeat as national champions since the 1969-1970 Manitoba Bisons.
The T-Birds open the season at home against the Alberta Golden Bears on Saturday, September 3, while the other Week 1 matchup features the Saskatchewan Huskies hosting the Regina Rams Friday, September 2 under the lights of Griffiths Stadium.
The regular season schedule concludes Saturday, October 29 before the Hardy Cup semis on Saturday, November 5 and finally the 80th edition of the Hardy Cup a week later on Saturday, November 12.
In addition to the Hardy Cup, Canada West is the proud host of the 2016 Mitchell Bowl, as the Hardy Cup champion will welcome the Atlantic University Sport champion in the CIS national semifinal game, with a spot in the 52nd Vanier Cup in Hamilton, Ont. (November 26) on the line.
Canada West broadcast schedule
Once again this season all 27 conference football games can be seen live on Canadawest.tv – the official streaming home of every Canada West regular season and playoff event.
In addition to Canadawest.tv’s full football coverage, 2016 marks the 10th season of Krown Produce Canada West Football on Shaw. The Canada West football television schedule is set to be released later this spring.
2016 Canada West football key dates – click here for complete schedule
Thursday, September 1 – Season opener
· Calgary vs. Manitoba / Winnipeg, MB / 7:00 p.m. CT / Investors Group Field
Thursday, September 8 – Rams home opener and first Thursday game in program history
· Manitoba vs. Regina / Regina, SK / 7:00 p.m. / Mosaic Stadium
Friday, September 9 – Hardy Cup rematch
· UBC vs. Calgary / Calgary, AB / 5:30 p.m. MT / McMahon Stadium
Saturday, September 17 – UBC homecoming
· Regina vs. UBC / Vancouver, BC / 5:00 p.m. PT / Thunderbird Stadium
Saturday, September 24 – Alberta alumni week and Manitoba homecoming
· UBC vs. Alberta / Edmonton, AB / 5:00 p.m. MT / Foote Field
· Saskatchewan vs. Manitoba / Winnipeg, MB / 1:00 p.m. / Investors Group Field
Saturday, October 1 – University of Calgary 50th anniversary celebration
· Alberta vs. Calgary / Calgary, AB / 1:00 p.m. / McMahon Stadium
Friday, October 14 – Saskatchewan’s annual Blackout Game
· UBC vs. Saskatchewan / Saskatoon, SK / 7:00 p.m. / Griffiths Stadium
Saturday, October 29 – Final day of the regular season
· Calgary vs. UBC / Vancouver, BC / 5:00 p.m. PT / Thunderbird Stadium
· Regina vs. Manitoba / Winnipeg, MB / 8:00 p.m. CT / Investors Group Field
Saturday, November 5 – Hardy Cup semifinals
Saturday, November 12 – 80th Hardy Cup
Saturday, November 19 – Mitchell Bowl
· Atlantic University Sport champion vs. Canada West champion