No. 1 seed Ohio State downs No. 9 Wisconsin 4-0, will take on Illinois Saturday
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team posted its 10th win in a row, downing No. 9 seed Wisconsin 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament Friday morning in East Lansing, Mich. Ohio State, the tournament’s No. 1 seed, improves to 26-2 on the year.
The Buckeyes will face No. 4 seed Illinois at 10 a.m. Saturday in the semifinals. Ohio State defeated the Illini, now ranked 51st, 7-0 earlier this season.
Weather forced the match indoors. Against the Badgers, the Buckeyes won the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Because of a limited number in courts in Michigan State’s indoor facility, play began with Nos. 2-5 singles. Junior Miho Kowase won in both singles and doubles for the Buckeyes.
The Buckeyes clinched the doubles point with victories on courts three and one. Freshman Francesca Di Lorenzo and sophomore Olivia Sneed posted the first win, downing Kelsey Grambeau and Kendall Kirsch, 6-2 to improve to 22-2 on the year. The No. 8-ranked team of Kowase and sophomore Anna Sanford followed with a 6-3 victory over Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich. Kowase and Sanford are now 24-7 overall this year, leading the Buckeyes in wins as a doubles team. The Buckeyes and Badgers were tied at three games apiece on court two when play was suspended.
On court four, Kowase dropped just one game, dispatching Kirsch, 6-1, 6-0, for the Buckeyes’ first singles point. Kowase has won her last 16 matches and is 20-1 in dual matches this spring. Junior Gabriella De Santis, ranked 106th, dropped just one game in each set, as she defeated Maria Avgerinos, 6-1, 6-1, on court three. On court five, junior Ferny Angeles Paz won a close first set over Sydney Rider, 6-4, before rolling through the second without dropping a game to clinch the team win and her 15th victory in a row. Angeles Paz is 21-1 in dual matches and 29-5 this season, ranking second on the team in wins.
On court two, No. 110 Sanford won the first set over No. 92 Ekaterina Stepanova, 6-3. Play was suspended tied at three in the second set. Di Lorenzo had won the first game of her match on court one when play was called and junior Sandy Niehaus had not yet taken the court at No. 6.
Wisconsin vs Ohio State
Apr 29, 2016 at East Lansing, Mich.
(MSU Indoor Tennis Facility)
#5 Ohio State 4, Wisconsin 0
1. #5 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) vs. #56 Lauren Chypyha (WIS) 1-0, unfinished
2. #110 Anna Sanford (OSU) vs. #92 Ekaterina Stepanova (WIS) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
3. #106 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) def. Maria Avgerinos (WIS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Kendall Kirsch (WIS) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) 6-4, 6-0
6. Lauren Burich (WIS) vs. #80 Sandy Niehaus (OSU) no result
1. #8 Anna Sanford/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Lauren Chypyha/Lauren Burich (WIS) 6-3
2. Ekaterina Stepanova/Sydney Rider (WIS) vs. #56 Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) 3-3, unfinished
3. Olivia Sneed/Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. Kelsey Grambeau/Kendall Kirsch (WIS) 6-2
Wisconsin 9-14, 5-6 B1G
Ohio State 26-2, 11-0 B1G; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,3,5)
Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament Quarterfinals