August 17, 2016 – Track and field events will take centre stage again on Thursday as CBC’s coverage of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games continues. London, ON’s Damian Warner, the Canadian decathlon record holder, will continue his battle with American Ashton Eaton for the gold medal. Warner finished second to Eaton at the 2015 World Championships and will be looking to turn the tables on Thursday.
Also in athletics, Markham, ON’s Andre De Grasse will aim to be racing for a second Rio 2016 medal when he joins reigning gold medallist Usain Bolt in the men’s 200m. Not to be overlooked is Toronto’s Aaron Brown who will be in the mix in the men’s 200m and finished ahead of De Grasse in this event at the 2016 Canadian Championships.
Coverage will be available on TV across CBC, TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet and Sportsnet ONE. Viewers can also watch CBC’s live streaming coverage at cbc.ca/olympics, on CBC’s app for Rio 2016 for iOS and Android devices and in virtual reality using the CBC Olympic Games Virtual Reality app.
Programming highlights for Thursday, Aug. 18:
Note: All times are listed in ET and are subject to change without notice. Visit cbc.ca/olympics for full listings.
- 8:30 a.m. – Men’s and Women’s Athletics
- Men’s decathlon (110m hurdles, discus), men’s shot put qualification, women’s high jump qualification, women’s 4x100m relay heats, men’s 400m hurdles final
- Canadians expected to compete: Damian Warner (men’s decathlon); Tim Nedow (men’s shot put); Alyxandria Treasure (women’s high jump); Khamica Bingham, Crystal Emmanuel, Phylicia George, Farah Jacques and Marissa Kurtimah (women’s 4x100m relay)
- 1:45 p.m. – Men’s Decathlon Pole Vault
- Damian Warner continues his pursuit of an Olympic Games medal
- 5:30 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Athletics
- Men’s decathlon final (javelin, 1500m), men’s shot put final, men’s 1500m semifinals, women’s javelin final, women’s 800m semifinals, women’s 400m hurdles final, men’s 200m final
- Canadians expected to compete: Damian Warner (decathlon); Tim Nedow (men’s shot put); Nathan Brannen and Charles Philibert-Thiboutot (men’s 1500m); Melissa Bishop (women’s 800m); Andre De Grasse and Aaron Brown (men’s 200m)
- 12:30 p.m. – Men’s Quarter-Finals
- 3 p.m. – Women’s 10m Platform Final
- 10:45 p.m. – Men’s Beach Volleyball Gold Medal Game: Italy vs. Brazil
- 10 a.m. – Men’s Triathlon
- Canada will be represented by Guelph, ON’s Andrew Yorke and Tyler Mislawchuk of Oak Bluff, MB
- 1 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Boxing Medals Bouts
- 2 p.m. – Women’s Basketball Semifinal #1: Spain vs. Serbia
- 6 p.m. – Women’s Basketball Semifinal #2: France vs. USA
- 4 p.m. – Men’s Field Hockey Gold Medal Match: Argentina vs. Belgium
- 8 p.m. – Men’s Water Polo Semifinals: Montenegro vs. Croatia and Italy vs. Serbia
- 6:30 a.m. – Women’s Golf: Second Round
- 3 p.m. – Women’s Wrestling Finals
- 7 p.m. –Badminton Medal Rounds
- 9 p.m. – Men’s Beach Volleyball Bronze Medal Game: Russia vs. Netherlands
- 9 a.m. – Women’s 10m Platform Semifinal
- 10:30 a.m. – Women’s Wrestling
- 4:30 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Medal Races
- Men’s 49er final, women’s 49er FX final
- 5:30 p.m. – Women’s Handball Semifinals
- 9:30 p.m. – Women’s Volleyball Semifinal #2: China vs. Netherlands
- 9 a.m. – Women’s Freestyle Wrestling
- 12 p.m. – Women’s Volleyball Semifinal #1: Serbia vs. USA
- 2 p.m. – Synchronized Swimming Teams Technical Routine
- 3 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Taekwondo
- 7 p.m. – Men’s and Women’s Taekwondo Finals
- 9 p.m. –12:05 a.m.