Victoria, BC- The Victoria Royals will begin their 2016-17 WHL Regular Season with a pair of contests vs. BC Division rivals, the Prince George Cougars on Friday and Saturday night.
Friday’s game is the Royals’ Banner Raising Night. Saturday’s contest will see the Royals honour Canadian athletes who participated at the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janerio, Brazil.
PRE-SEASON RECAP: The Royals enter the regular season as one of only four teams to earn five wins during the 2016 pre-season. Victoria also allowed a WHL-low 13 goals during the pre-season, and 2.17 markers per game. Dante Hannoun led the club in pre-season scoring with six points (4g-2a) through five contests.
FRIDAY – BANNER RAISING
The Royals will raise both their WHL Regular Season Championship and BC Division Championship banners earned during the 2015-16 campaign. This will mark the first banner raising in franchise history.
– The first 2,500 fans will receive a 2016-17 Royals’ Magnet Schedule courtesy of Smile By Design.
– Save-On-Foods will be outside Gate 1 with hot dog samples from Western Family.
– Budweiser will also be on hand to give out samples of their non-alcoholic beer, Bud Prohibition.
SATURDAY – OLYMPICS NIGHT
– The Royals are proud to honour Canadian Olympic athletes in attendance, and will be joined by the athletes in a pre-game ceremony on ice. Some of the athletes in attendance will include: Double sculls rowing team members and silver medallists Lindsay Jennerich and Patricia Obee, bronze medallists and Rugby 7’s team members Bianca Farella & Natasha Watcham-Roy, and track-and-field middle distance runner Hilary Stellingwerff.
– Smiles By Design will be giving away 2016-17 Royals’ Magnet Schedules on entrance while supplies last.
o Grand prize is a pair of tickets to the Christmas Craft Beer Show at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre on Saturday, December 3rd (for participants 19 years of age and older).
o Jiffy Lube Oil Change (approx. 20-30 winners per game).