CALGARY – On a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the Vikes were defeated 2-1 by the University of Calgary Dinos. With the loss, the Vikes end their weekend in Alberta with one win and one defeat.

Dorian Colopisis scored his first goal of the season in the losing effort. While Jorge Leon Gomez and Dominic Russo tallied for the Dinos.

“We are happy that we got three points, there’s no question about that. We know that we have some very difficult games coming up,” said Vikes head coach Bruce Wilson.

The Dinos opened the scoring early on, as Leon Gomez ran onto a pass from Russo and smashed the ball into far corner, giving Calgary the lead in the 13th minute. Leon Gomez’s third of the season was the result of furious opening pressure from Calgary.

Victoria responded quickly, in the 22nd minute Vikes midfielder Dorian Colopisis was awarded a free kick from distance, in which he made no mistake, striking the ball over the Dinos defence and past goaltender, Hunter Brett, for the tying goal.

“It was a great free kick. From about 22-yards out he absolutely smashed it in,” said Wilson

The remainder of the first half was highlighted by the Dinos offensive pressure, including promising rushes from Bori Falaye and Dominic Russo. Despite these efforts, the score remained 1-1 going into the second half, with the Dinos leading in shot attempts, 11-4.

Entering the second half, just eight minutes in, Dominic Russo received a pass from Dominick Zator, beat the Vikes defence and deked past the Vikes goaltender, Noah Pawlowski, before running the ball into the net. The effort from Russo gave him his team leading 11th goal of the season.

From there, it was Calgary controlling the majority of the play in the offensive side of the field, as they attempted 15 shots in the second half, including a shot off the post from midfielder, Robin Whittaker.

“The game was fairly equal until well into the second half. They had a couple really good chances that we were able to defend against before they managed to score the winner,” said Wilson.

The Vikes had their chances to tie the game, notably having been awarded six free kicks, five of them coming in the second half. Their efforts were not enough as the Dinos defence stepped up again, and prevented any threats from coming to fruition.

Next up for the Vikes will be a trip to the Lower Mainland. They are in Langley on September 30 to take on Trinity Western before playing the Fraser Valley Cascades October 1.