LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Spartans men’s hockey team opens its home schedule tonight as they host Selkirk at 7 p.m. at the Langley Events Centre in a rematch of last year’s BCIHL championship series.
Watch LIVE: www.fasthockey.com.
THE WEEKEND STORY
- Tonight’s contest is a chance for the Spartans to make an early-season statement against the four-time defending BCIHL champions.
- TWU is coming off a weekend series in Victoria in which they lost 4-3 before bouncing back for a 3-2 win.
- Two-time BCIHL all-star defenceman Stefan Gonzales will get a chance to play his former team as the Spartans blueliner spent two years, 2013-14 and 2014-15, with Selkirk. In both seasons, he helped the Saints win the league title. In 2013-14, he was part of the team that beat TWU in the championship series.
- Tonight will not only give TWU fans a chance to see Gonzales for the first time live in Spartans colours, but also a chance to see first-year offensive stars Evan Last and Jarrett Fontaine. The top-line duo has already combined for three goals and three assists in two games. Last is tied for the league lead in points with three goals and one assist.
- Selkirk is looking for its first win of the season after losing 3-2 to SFU in the Saints season-opener.
- TWU has a 15-12-1 record all-time against Selkirk.
- Last year, the Spartans were 3-3 against the Saints.
Friday, Oct. 14 vs. Selkirk (2-0-1) – 7 p.m. (PT)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (1-1-0)
BCIHL standings: 2nd (tied)
Last game: Victoria (3-2 W)
2015-16 BCIHL Record: 13-9-0-2 (3rd)
2015-16 BCIHL Playoff Record: 2-2 (2nd)
SELKIRK SAINTS (0-1-0)
BCIHL standings: 4th (tied)
Last game: Simon Fraser (3-2 L)
2015-16 BCIHL Record: 17-4-0-3 (1st)
2015-16 BCIHL Playoff Record: 4-1 (1st)