With their top-14 finishes in the conference, Bascal and Simpson joined teammates Ben Weir and Cole Peterson on the Canada West All-Star team. Bascal and Simpson were named to the First Team while Weir and Peterson were honoured as Second Team All-Stars.
The Vikes were second out of five Canada West teams at the event, earning them conference silver a year after they took the country by storm and dethroned the the Guelph Gryphons. This year, the host Laval Rouge et Or took home top honours led by top finisher Yves Sikubwabo.
The banner might not be coming home to Victoria this year, but head coach Brent Fougner was happy with the team’s fight in a field full of tough competitors.
“We knew going into this race that it would be about six or seven teams with a shot at the podium—we needed everyone to have their best race today to get a medal,” said Fougner.
“Luck wasn’t on our side this year as we battled several setbacks through the fall but never did the team use this as an excuse not to go out and put it on the line and go for it.”
Bascal and Simpson were followed on the course by teammates Weir in 33rd and Cole Peterson in a tie for 35th. Rookie Jonathan Toombs pushed until the end to finish 59th, followed by Cody Therrien(80th) and rookie Chet Goerzen (94th).
“Forrest, Cole, Shoayb and Cody finished off their varsity cross country careers knowing that they left everything out on this challenging course,” said Fougner. “Jonny Toombs ran an awesome race to move up through the field and be our fifth scorer.”
Canada West Men’s Cross Country Team Results
CW Finish / Points / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Trinity Western / 86 / 2nd
2. Victoria / 141 / 6th
3. Calgary / 156 / 7th
4. Manitoba / 299 / 12th
5. MacEwan / 598 / 21st
Canada West Men’s Individual Results – All-Stars
CW Finish / University / Time / U Sports Overall Finish
1. Declan White / Trinity Western University / 30:56.0 / 2nd
2. Joel De Schiffart / Trinity Western University / 31:15.9 / 8th
3. Adam Strueby / University of Regina / 31:22.0 / 13th
4. Roman Justinen / University of Calgary / 31:23.5 / 14th
5. Shoayb Bascal / University of Victoria / 31:26.8 / 15th
6. Forrest Simpson / University of Victoria / 31:28.0 / 16th
7. Caleb DeJong / Trinity Western University / 31:34.4 / 19th
8. Nick Colyn / Trinity Western University / 31:36.4 / 21st
9. Kieran McDonald / University of Alberta / 31:36.9 / 22nd
10. Ryan Grieco / University of Calgary / 31:42.3 / 25th
11. Ben Weir / University of Victoria / 31:55.0 / 33rd
12. Cole Peterson / University of Victoria / 32:02.0 / 35th
13. Samuël Poher / University of Calgary / 32:05.8 / 38th
14. Daniel Heschuk / University of Manitoba / 32:08.9 / 39th