The Portland Winterhawks (12-12-1-0) earned a 4-2 win over the visiting Victoria Royals (14-10-2-0) at Veterans Memorial Coliseum Friday in the Daylight Classic game.
Skyler McKenzie struck twice for the Hawks tonight, one of which was an empty net goal with just 1.3 seconds left to seal the 4-2 victory. McKenzie has 11 points in nine games so far this November, with five goals in that span. The forward has 31 points in 25 games, surpassing his career high of 25 set last season.
With the help of two assists against Victoria, Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson extended his point streak to six games. Iverson has 13 points in those six games, including 11 helpers in the last five consecutive games, and 30 points on the season so far. Forward Cody Glass also extended his point streak to five games, with five goals and six assists for 11 points in that time.
– 1st @ 2:18 – Lane Gilliss (Hobson, Clayton) opens the scoring for Portland after getting the puck past Victoria netminder Griffen Outhouse. (POR 1 – VIC 0)
– 1st @ 11:28 – Victoria’s Matthew Phillips (Hannoun, Gerth) roofs the puck to even it at 1-1 for the Royals. (POR 1 – VIC 1)
– 1st @ 18:49 – Skyler McKenzie (Glass, Iverson) finds the back of the net after a perfect pass from Cody Glass get the puck right in front of Outhouse for a 2-1 lead. (POR 2 – VIC 1)
– 2nd @ 0:59 – (PP) With the Hawks on the power play, Colton Veloso (Jokiharju, Texeira) fires the puck into the Victoria net to make it 3-1. (POR 3 – VIC 1)
– 3rd @ 13:40 – (PP) Victoria’s Regan Nagy (Jarratt, Price) nets a power play marker to cut the deficit to 3-2. (POR 3 – VIC 2)
– 3rd @ 19:59 – With 1.3 seconds left, Skyler McKenzie (Iverson, Jones) finds the empty net to extend the Portland lead to 4-2 which would stand as the final. (POR 4 – VIC 2)
Power Play Statistics:
– POR: 1/7
– VIC: 1/6
Shots on Goal:
– POR: 43
– VIC: 35
– POR: Cole Kehler made 33 saves on 35 Victoria shots.
– VIC: Griffen Outhouse made 39 saves on 42 Portland shots.