Skyler McKenzie posted his first career hat trick, which included the coveted teddy bear goal, as the Portland Winterhawks (18-13-1-0) earned a 5-2 victory over the Everett Silvertips (21-4-5-0) Saturday in front of 10,095 fans at Veterans Memorial Coliseum in the annual Les Schwab Teddy Bear Toss.
McKenzie’s first goal brought down the teddy bears, later adding both a shorthanded and a power play goal to propel the Hawks to victory. McKenzie also tallied an assist for a four-point night, while his 20 goals leads the Winterhawks. He became the second Winterhawk to hit the 40-point plateau this season, joining Cody Glass.
This year’s Teddy Bear Toss collected 11,553 stuffed animals, which will be donated to local children’s charities and hospitals during the holiday season. Tonight’s game was also the team’s last home game before the league’s holiday break. The Hawks will play four road games next week, beginning Tuesday with a doubleheader in Victoria before traveling to Vancouver Friday and finishing Saturday in Everett.
– 1st @ 2:31 – Skyler McKenzie (Glass, Iverson) opens the scoring for Portland with the coveted teddy goal to bring a shower of stuffed animals onto the VMC ice. (POR 1 – EVT 0)
– 1st @ 5:35 – Patrick Bajkov (Skrumeda, Zwerger) evens the game at 1-1. (POR 1 – EVT 1)
– 2nd @ 0:30 – Everett’s Matt Fonteyne (Davis, Zwerger) gives the Silvertips a one-goal advantage. (POR 1 – EVT 2)
– 2nd @ 6:20 – Winterhawks captain Keegan Iverson (Caleb Jones, Skyler McKenzie) sends a snipe past Everett netminder Mario Petit to tie it at 2-2. (POR 2 – EVT 2)
– 2nd @ 8:17 – Joachim Blichfeld (Veloso) fires the puck top shelf for a 3-2 Portland lead. (POR 3 – EVT 2)
– 2nd @ 16:54 – (SH) McKenzie (Iverson, De Jong) nets his second of the night, a shorthanded goal, to put the Hawks up 4-2. (POR 4 – EVT 2)
– 3rd @ 0:50 – (PP) McKenzie (Blichfeld, Iverson) completes his first career hat trick with a power play goal for a 5-2 Portland lead, which would stand as the final. (POR 5 – EVT 2)
Power Play Statistics:
– POR: 1/3
– EVT: 1/6
Shots on Goal:
– POR: 38
– EVT: 41
– POR: Cole Kehler made 39 saves on 41 Everett shots.
– EVT: Mario Petit made 33 saves on 38 Portland shots.