Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Portland, OR – Wednesday, December 28th
The Portland Winterhawks (20-17-1-0) earned a 4-3 win over the Tri-City Americans (20-16-3-0) Wednesday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Portland’s offense was led by the team’s defenseman as blueliners Keoni Texeira, Brendan De Jong, and Henri Jokiharju combined for three of the Hawks’ four goals tonight. Jokiharju added two assists to finish with three points, while Colton Veloso added the fourth goal in the 4-3 win.
The Hawks are back in action Friday when they travel to Seattle for the first of a home-and-home weekend against the Thunderbirds. The two teams return to Portland Saturday for a matchup in the annual New Year’s Eve game at the Moda Center with a special start time of 7:30 p.m. and a post-game skate with the Winterhawks players.
– 1st @ 1:33 – Defenseman Keoni Texeira (Jokiharju) bangs a juicy rebound on a shot from Henri Jokiharju to open the scoring. (POR 1 – TC 0)
– 1st @ 2:16 – Tri-City’s Morgan Geekie (Topping, Leason) scores 43 seconds later to tie it up at 1-1. (POR 1 – TC 1)
– 1st @ 5:01 – (PP) Parker AuCoin (Sawchuk, Wotherspoon) nets a power play marker to give the Americans a 2-1 lead. (POR 1 – TC 2)
– 2nd @ 1:38 – Brendan De Jong (MacEachern, Colina) blasts a shot from the point that beats Tri-City netminder Evan Sarthou to even the game at 2-2. (POR 2 – TC 2)
– 2nd @17:17 – (PP) Henri Jokiharju (Iverson, Hughes) rips a shot from the point while on the power play for a 3-2 Portland lead. (POR 3 – TC 2)
– 3rd @ 16:55 – Colton Veloso (Jokiharju, Overhardt) fires a rebound in on his backhand to give the Hawks a 4-2 lead. (POR 4 – TC 2)
– 3rd @ 19:30 – Michael Rasmussen scores to bring the Tri-City Americans within one goal, but it wasn’t enough as the Hawks skated away with the victory. (POR 4 – TC 3)
Power Play Statistics:
– POR: 2/5
– TC: 0/7
Shots on Goal:
– POR: 42
– TC: 36
– POR: Michael Bullion made 33 saves on 36 Tri-City shots.
– TC: Evan Sarthou made 38 saves on 42 Portland shots.