Moda Center – Portland, OR – Saturday, December 31st
The Portland Winterhawks (20-17-1-0) fell to the Seattle Thunderbirds (19-14-3-1) by a 3-2 score Saturday at Moda Center in front of a sell-out crowd of 10,947.
Portland captain Keegan Iverson assisted the Hawks’ second goal of the night to extend his point streak to five games. Iverson, a 20 year-old from Minnesota, has picked up a goal and four assists in his last five games. His 45 points this season is three more than his career high, set back in 2013-14.
The Hawks are back in action next weekend for a pair of home games. First, they face the Everett Silvertips at 6 o’clock Saturday in the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, before hosting the Kamloops Blazers in the Moda Center Sunday.
– 1st @ 14:38 – Forward Ryan Hughes (Jokiharju) backhands in on a breakaway from Henri Jokiharju’s stretch pass to open the scoring. (POR 1 – SEA 0)
– 2nd @ 11:50 – (SH) Seattle’s Scott Eansor (Unassisted) scores Shorthanded to tie it up at 1-1. (POR 1 – SEA 1)
– 2nd @ 16:42 – Cody Glass (Iverson) snipes past Rylan Toth from an acute angle to give the Hawks a 2-1 lead. (POR 2 – SEA 1)
– 3rd @ 5:26 – Zach Andrusiak (Strand, Ormsby) pokes home a rebound to tie the game at 2-2. (POR 2 – SEA 2)
– 3rd @10:22 – Luke Ormsby (Andrusiak, Tyszka) puts a rebound into the net to give Seattle the lead. They’d hold on to win by that 3-2 score (POR 2 –SEA 3)
Power Play Statistics:
– POR: 0/5
– SEA: 0/4
Shots on Goal:
– POR: 22
– SEA: 33
– POR: Cole Kehler made 30 saves on 33 Tri-City shots.
– SEA: Rylan Toth made 20 saves on 22 Portland shots.