The Aboriginal Sport, Recreation & Physical Activity Partners Council is pleased to present Team BC’s Expression of Interest Application for the sport of Wrestling as well as the Provincial Wrestling Camp. Team BC is currently recruiting athletes to compete in the sport of Wrestling at the 2017 North American Indigenous Games, to be held in Toronto, Ontario from July 16 to 23, 2017.
The application is for athletes eligible for and interested in competing at the 2017 North American Indigenous Games (NAIG). Eligible applicants will be nominated based on performance results at meets between Jan 1, 2016 to March 9, 2017 as per the requirements outlined in the Team BC 2017 NAIG Selection Process (Wrestling) Document. Athletes are not required to attend the Provincial Wrestling Camp as part of the Team BC Expression of Interest process.
The NAIG wrestling competition consists of both male and female individual competition for following age and weight classes. Participants born in 1999 to 2001 are eligible (Cadet). Participants born in 2002 may be considered to be upgraded.
Athlete Selection Process
Athletes interested in competing for Team BC at 2017 NAIG must submit this application form as their formal expression of interest:
• Applicants submit their performance results from competitive meets held from January 1, 2016 up to March 9, 2017. It is preferable that results submitted are from BC Wrestling sanctioned event(s) and/or School event(s)
• Applicants must also provide two (2) references – one sport reference (preferably a coach) and one character reference that is not a relative (e.g. teacher).
• Athletes must submit their application prior to deadline of 4:00 PM Friday March 10, 2017 in order to be considered for nomination to Team BC Wrestling
• Athletes will be considered for selection based primarily on their performances in the past year and current season, however, athlete selection criteria may also include other contributing factors including conduct, attitude, commitment to training, and other criteria determined by the Coaching Staff/Selection committee.
• Selection committee to consist of Team BC Coaching Staff and representatives from Provincial Aboriginal Wrestling Committee.
• Athletes will be notified of selections April 1, 2017.
Applications must be submitted by 4:00 PM Friday March 10, 2017
The application can be viewed and downloaded via the following link: Team BC Wrestling Application
If you have internet access, please complete the registration form online here.
Provincial Wrestling Camp
Thursday February 2, 2017
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Alberni District Secondary School
4000 Roger Street, Port Alberni BC V9Y 0B1
Cost: FREE for Aboriginal youth ages 11 – 18.
*Please wear comfortable clothing and bring either clean running shoes or wrestling shoes for participation in the learning activities.