The Portland Winterhawks (22-20-1-1) fell 6-5 in a shootout to the Prince George Cougars (33-12-2-0) Wednesday in a road contest played in Prince George, BC.
In Portland’s comeback effort, Ryan Hughes notched two goals against the Cougars, extending his goal streak to five games. Rookies Brad Ginnell and Jake Gricius also posted goals in the shootout loss; Ginnell added an assist while Gricius netted the late equalizer to set up overtime.
Matching his power play goal last night, Alex Overhardt once again deflected the puck in the net for his third consecutive game with a goal scored on the man advantage. Jokiharju also extended his point streak to five games with the assist on Gricius’ late goal.
The Hawks will now travel to Kamloops and Kelowna where they will wrap up the BC trip with two contests this weekend.
– 1st @ 0:10 – Prince George’s Brad Morrison (O’Brien, Schoettler) opens the scoring ten seconds in. (PG 1 – POR 0)
– 1st @ 3:07 – Ryan Hughes (Texeira, Veloso) evens the game at 1-1, beating Prince George netminder Nick McBride. (PG 1 – POR 1)
– 1st @ 3:48 – Jansen Harkins (Morrison, McDonald) gives Prince George a 2-1 lead. (PG 2 – POR 1)
– 1st @ 6:43 – (PP) Brad Ginnell (Veloso, McKenzie) nets a power play marker to tie it at 2-2. (PG 2 – POR 2)
– 2nd @ 0:35 – Brogan O’Brien (Morrison, Olson) scores for a 3-2 Prince George lead. (PG 3 – POR 2)
– 2nd @ 8:08 – Hughes posts his second goal of the night with a highlight reel goal to level it again at 3-3. (PG 3 – POR 3)
– 2nd @ 13:43 – Radovan Bondra (McAuley) puts the Cougars up 4-3 after netting a feed from Colby McAuley. (PG 4 – POR 3)
– 3rd @ 4:33 – (PP) Alex Overhardt (De Jong, Ginnell) deflects the puck past McBride to even it at 4-4 with a power play goal. (PG 4 – POR 4)
– 3rd @ 8:39 – (PP) Colby McAuley (Bondra, Guhle) gives the Cougars a 5-4 lead. (PG 5 – POR 4)
– 3rd @ 14:06 – Jake Gricius (Gilliss, Jokiharju) bangs the puck in the net during a scramble in front of McBride for the late equalizer to make it 5-5, setting up the extra frame. (PG 5 – POR 5)
– SO: After a scoreless overtime period, the game went to a shootout. Bondra scored in the second round and Harkins in the third round to give Prince George the 6-5 victory.
Power Play Statistics:
– POR: 2/5
– PG: 1/6
Shots on Goal:
– POR: 41
– PG: 54
– POR: Cole Kehler made 48 saves on 53 Prince George shots.
– PG: Nick McBride made 36 saves on 41 Portland shots.