BURNABY, British Columbia – Trinity Western gave up four power play goals and lost 6-3 on the road against Simon Fraser Saturday at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre.


In a battle between the top two teams in the BCIHL, the Clan was four for seven with the man-advantage and that was the difference in what was an otherwise closely contested game.


The Spartans Dirk de Waal (Lethbridge, Alta.) had two shorthanded markers and Florian Niedermaier (Davos, Switzerland) tallied the other TWU goal, but it wasn’t nearly enough against a hot Clan power play.


The win puts SFU (12-3-0-2) three points clear of TWU (11-4-0-1) for top spot in the BCIHL. With the Spartans picking up a shootout victory Thursday in the first game of the home and home weekend, the series saw the Clan nab three points, while TWU took just two points.


After TWU had grabbed a 2-1 lead early in the middle frame, the Clan responded with four second period goals to take a three-goal cushion into the third period.


SFU went up 6-2 in the third before de Waal tallied his second of the night to get the Spartans back within three goals with 7:32 to play.


Daniell Lange had two goals for SFU, while Graham Smerek, Spencer Unger, Jaret Babych and Matthew Berry-Lamontagna had singles.


Evan Last (Surrey, B.C.) had a two-assist night for TWU.


“It’s pretty hard to win a hockey game when you’re giving up that many shorthanded goals,” said Spartans coach Barret Kropf. “We had some undisciplined penalties that really had an effect on the game. We have to figure out a way to bring that under control as we edge closer to the playoffs. It’s going to be critical for us to really gain that mental composure to be able to compete.


“The guys played well enough five-on-five and we did have two shorthanded goals, but we need to shore things up on the penalty kill. I thought Dirk and Last played well and (Jacob) Mills (Burnaby, B.C.) and (Karsten Seidel, Delta, B.C.) were solid on the back end for us.”


TWU goalie Silas Matthys (Wollerau, Switzerland) made eight saves on 13 shots before he was replaced in the second intermission by Lucas Mills (Burnaby), who stopped three of the four shots he faced in the third period.


Lyndon Stanwood earned the win in net for SFU.


The Spartans have a week off before they return home for games on Feb. 2 against SFU and Feb. 4 against Eastern Washington.


“This bye weekend will be critical for us to get back healthy and ready to go for the stretch drive,” Kropf said.