LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western’s women’s basketball team will host local rival UBC in the Spartans final two games of the regular season Friday and Saturday at the Langley Events Centre.
Friday, Feb. 10 vs. UBC (14-4) – 5 p.m. (PT)
Saturday, Feb. 11 vs. UBC (14-4) – 5 p.m. (PT)
THE WEEKEND STORY
- The Spartans play their final weekend of the season with knowledge that they are likely to host a Canada West playoff series for the first time in their history. The RPI will determine the playoff positioning but, with a look at possible scenarios, the Spartans have all but solidified home court advantage.
- TWU and UBC come into the weekend with identical RPI ratings, at .5308. With road wins weighted heavier, the Spartans would need a sweep of the visiting Thunderbirds if they are to finish ahead of UBC in the final standings.
- The Spartans have never beat UBC under coach Cheryl Jean-Paul, who took over in 2010. The last time TWU knocked off the T-Birds was Nov. 1, 2008, when the Spartans earned a 54-48 win at UBC.
- TWU’s Kayla Gordon is coming off an impressive weekend in which she recorded back-to-back double doubles and was named the Canada West Female First Star of the Week. She combined for 54 points and 24 rebounds over the weekend.
- Gordon leads the conference with a 54.9 shooting percentage.
- TWU’s Tessa Ratzlaff is fifth in Canada West in shooting percentage, at 50.4.
- The Spartans Jessie Brown is second in the conference in 3-point shooting percentage, at 42.5.
- UBC’s Madison Penn is second in Canada West with 18.5 points per game.
- The T-Birds Keylyn Filewich trails only Gordon in field goal percentage, at 53.7.
- The Spartans will honour graduating seniors Luca Schmidt, Nat Carkner and Jamie Andrews-Stobart in a special postgame ceremony Saturday.
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (12-6)
U SPORTS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 6th (tied)
Last Game: Mount Royal (80-51 W)
Streak: 2 wins
2015-16 CW Regular Season Record: 8-12
2015-16 CW Playoff Record: 1-2
UBC THUNDERBIRDS (14-4)
CIS ranking: NR
Canada West Standings: 4th
Last Game: UNBC (76-72 W)
Streak: 5 wins
2015-16 CW Regular Season Record: 9-11
2015-16 CW Playoff Record: 2-2