SAO PAOLO, BRAZIL – Brothers Brett and Matt Beukeboom will make their first test start together in Friday’s Americas Rugby Championship finale against Brazil. There will also be a test debut for Brantford, Ont., native Rory McDonell on the wing as Canada looks to conclude its ARC campaign with a victory over 33rd world ranked Brazil.
“It’s going to be amazing experience,” Matt said. “We’ve never actually played on the same team before. I remember watching Brett and thinking there was no way I was going to be able to play at that level so I’m just excited to see what Friday brings.”
The Beukeboom’s become the first set of Canadian brothers to start in the same test match since Jamie and Phil Mackenzie in Canada’s 2015 Rugby World Cup match against Italy on Sept. 26.
“It’ll be an exciting time for our family,” Brett said. “There’s always aunts, uncles, mums and dads who love bragging about us back home so I’m sure they’ll all be watching Friday night.”
Rob Brouwer and Matt Tierney will line-up either side of Eric Howard in the front row who makes his first test start after his previous eight test caps came as a replacement. Brett Beukeboom has a new partner at lock in Liam Chisholm while Matt Beukeboom replaces Clay Panga at openside flanker with Lucas Rumball and blindside and Admir Cejvanovic at No. 8.
Gordon McRorie will captain Canada from scrum-half with Gradyn Bowd replacing Robbie Povey at fly-half. McDonell is joined by Dan Moor on the wing with Nick Blevins and Conor Trainor in the centres. Guiseppe du Toit starts at fullback in place of Brock Staller.
Canada is coming off of a 17-13 defeat to Uruguay last Saturday. Canada lost it’s ARC opener 20-6 to Argentina before beating Chile 36-15. They lost 51-34 to the USA in a high-scoring affair in Burnaby, BC, in round 3.
Canada is 1-0 all-time against Brazil as their first and only meeting came last year in the 2016 ARC. Canada got tries from Panga (2), Rumball (2), Ray Barkwill, Paul Ciulini and Mike Hamson in a 52-25 win in Langford, BC.
Friday’s game can be seen LIVE on TSN GO with a replay being shown on TSN 5 on March 5 at 12pm ET/9am PT.
Canada Team to face Brazil (Name, club, hometown):
- Rob Brouwer – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
- Eric Howard – (Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Blues) Ottawa, ON
- Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
- Brett Beukeboom – (Cornish Pirates) Lindsay, ON
- Liam Chisholm – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Kenora, ON
- Matt Beukeboom – (Section Paloise) Lindsay, ON
- Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Scarborough, ON
- Admir Cejvanovic – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Burnaby, BC
- Gordon McRorie – Captain (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
- Gradyn Bowd – (UVIC Vikes/Prairie Wolf Pack) Red Deer, AB
- Rory McDonell – (Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Blues) Brantford, ON
- Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
- Conor Trainor – (RC Vannes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
- Dan Moor – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON
- Guiseppe Du Toit – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Maple Ridge, BC
- Ray Barkwill – (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
- Djustice Sears -Duru – (Glasgow Warriors/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
- Cole Keith – (James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock) Sussex, NB
- Reegan O’Gorman – (Marist Albion) Vancouver, BC
- Clay Panga – (Westshore RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
- Phil Mack – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
- George Barton – (Clermont Espoirs) Duncan, BC
- Brock Staller – (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
Canada’s 2017 Americas Rugby Championship Schedule:
Canada 6-20 Argentina — Feb. 4, Westhills Stadium, Langford, BC
Canada 36-15 Chile — Feb. 11, Westhills Stadium, Langford, BC
Canada 34-51 USA — Feb. 18, Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC
Uruguay 17-13 Canada — Feb. 25, Estadio Domingo Burgueno, Uruguay
Brazil vs. Canada — March 3, Pacaembu Stadium, Brazil