Prince Albert, SK – The Prince Albert Raiders (17-40-5-2) couldn’t hold back the Medicine Hat Tigers (45-18-1-0) on Wednesday night, falling to the Central Division leaders 6-5 in overtime at the Art Hauser Centre.


The Tigers got on the board first when Mason Shaw beat Ian Scott with a wrist shot at the 6:42 mark of the period. The Raiders tied it up just more than a minute later. Curtis Miske finished a beautiful pass from Max Martin on the power play to make it a 1-1 game after 20 minutes.


In the second, the Raiders took the lead on Cavin Leth’s 20th goal of the year. Before the period was out, Mark Rassell tied the game 2-2.

The Raiders pounced on the Tigers early in the third to begin a wild period. Leth scored his second goal of the game just 1:19 into the frame. Three minutes later, Parker Kelly found twine to give the Raiders a 4-2 lead. A minute after Kelly’s goal, Matt Bradley beat Scott to bring the Tigers back within one. Less than a minute after Bradley’s goal, D-Jay Jerome buried a rebound to restore the Raiders’ two-goal lead.


However, the Tigers clawed their way back into the game. John Dahlstrom made it a one-goal game again at the 9:14 mark of the frame. Dahlstrom’s goal ended Scott’s night. The 18-year-old from Calgary made 26 saves in just more than 50 minutes of ice time.


With 5:56 to play, Rassell tallied his second of the game to tie the game at 5-5, sending the game into overtime.

Steven Owre ended the game in the Tigers’ favour 31 seconds into the extra frame when he snapped a shot past Nicholas Sanders, who was taken out at the legs by a falling Leth.


In relief, Sanders made nine saves and was credited with the overtime loss. Michael Bullion stopped 36 shots faced to earn the win.


The Raiders continue their home stand on Friday night when the Lethbridge Hurricanes storm into the Art Hauser Centre. Puck drop is 7 p.m. On Saturday night, the Raiders host the Kootenay ICE on Autism Awareness Night. The Raiders will be wearing special jersey for the evening.