LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western’s men’s hockey team will host four-time defending league champion Selkirk in the BCIHL best-of-three semifinals starting Thursday with Game 1 at the George Preston Recreation Centre.
Game 1 – Thursday, Mar. 8 vs. Selkirk (14-9-0-1) – 7 p.m. (George Preston Recreation Centre)
Game 2 – Friday, Mar. 9 vs. Selkirk (14-9-0-1) – 7 p.m. (George Preston Recreation Centre)
Game 3 – Saturday, Mar. 10 vs. Selkirk (14-9-0-1) – 7 p.m. (if necessary) (TBD)
- The Spartans will host Selkirk in a playoff series for the first time ever and the first time the teams have met in a semifinal series.
- This will be the first time the Saints have ever played a road playoff game. In Selkirk’s four-year championship run, the team has played all 17 of its playoff games on home ice.
- TWU and Selkirk have played each other in two of the last three championship series, in 2014 and 2016, with the Saints winning both series in two games.
- Selkirk is 16-1 all-time in the postseason. The Saints only loss came last year against Victoria in the semifinals.
- The Spartans were 4-2 against the Saints this year in the regular season with TWU outscoring Selkirk 20-17 in those six games.
- TWU is 19-12-1-2 all-time against Selkirk in the regular season.
- Spartans first-year forward Evan Last won the BCIHL’s scoring race with seven goals and 24 assists in 21 games. TWU’s Jarrett Fontaine was third with 15 goals and 13 assists in 18 games.
- Selkirk had four players tally 20 or more points this year, with Matt Martin leading the way with 11 goals and 11 assists in 23 games.
- TWU finished the year second in the league with an 87.2 per cent penalty kill and third in the league with a 19.6 per cent power play.
- Selkirk had the second best power play in the BCIHL, at 21.4 per cent, and the third best penalty kill at 84.8 per cent.
- The winner of this series will advance to the championship series where they will face either Simon Fraser or Victoria.
- Games 1 and 2 will be held at the George Preston Recreation Centre, where last year the Spartans beat Simon Fraser in Game 2 of their semifinal series in overtime to eliminate the Clan. Depending on facility availability, Game 3 will be at either the George Preston Recreation Centre or the Aldergrove Community Arena.
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (16-6-0-2)
BCIHL standings: 2nd
Last game: Simon Fraser (3-1 L)
Streak: 1 loss
2015-16 BCIHL Playoff Record: 2-2 (2nd)
SELKIRK SAINTS (14-9-0-1)
BCIHL standings: 3rd
Last game: Eastern Washington (5-3 L)
Streak: 1 loss
2015-16 BCIHL Playoff Record: 4-1 (1st)