It only took only one minute and one second of extra time to decide  a winner between the sixth-ranked Saskatchewan Huskies and the  No.3 York Lions. That’s when Levi Cable (Hudson Bay, Sask.) put a shot past York goalie Mack Shields (Saskatoon, Sask.) to break the scoreless tie and send the Huskies into tomorrow’s semifinal at the 2017 U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup.
In last year’s University Cup, the Huskies endured two torturous overtime games before being eliminated. That thought was going through the mind of Huskies goalie Jordon Cooke (Leduc, Alta.A) as the teams went into OT
“Last year in that third OT, it was terrible,” he said, of Saskatchewan’s  2-1 loss to StFX in the 2016 semifinal. “Losing in OT was one of the worst things ever. I sure didn’t want to end that way.”
Cooke faced 24 shots on goal for the win.
Cable, who had four shots in the game, took the pass off the boards and broke in on the net.
“It was a nice bounce, gave us a 2-on-1, I shot low glove and it trickled across the line,” said the second-year Business majaor. “I was excited, and I had thoughts of losing last year.”
Shields stopped 31 of the 32 shots in the loss.
“We had a great season, and we don’t want to end this way,” said Shields, moments after the game. “It is hard right now. We have lots of young guys, and we want to be back here, next year, among the top eight teams in the country.”
Huskies coach Dave Adolph knew his team was going to see a tough York squad..
“There are absolutely no ‘gimmies’ in a tournament like this,” said Adolph. I was thinking of last year, and we seem to have trouble scoring in Atlantic Canada. We knew this was one of the stingiest teams in the AUS , and we are in the west, so we knew it was going to be a close one.”
York had 22 minutes in penalties in the game, while Saskatchewan had 18.
Saskatchewan will face the winner of Thursday’s fourth quarter-final between StFX and McGill on Saturday at 4 p.m. AT, live on Sporstnet 360 and SN NOW, while York is eliminated from the tournament.