Today’s Game Notes
AS YOU KNOW…today’s Mariners starting pitcher Rob Whalen is making his season-debut today in Mariners team game #50, but DID YOU KNOW?…that, since 2000, his start gives the Mariners the most players used, pitchers used, and starters used in the first 50 games of a season?…Rob is the 43rd different Mariner to appear in a game this season, the 12th different starting pitcher and the 27th different pitcher overall…here’s a look at the mosts thru 50 games since 2000: Most Players: 1. 2017 Seattle, 43; 2. 2015 Tampa Bay, 42; 3. 2015 Texas, 41; T4. 5 teams, 40…Most Starters: 1. 2017 Seattle, 12; T2. 2007 New York (AL) & 2002 St. Louis, 11; T4. 16 teams, 10…Most Pitchers: 1. 2017 Seattle, 27; T2. 2016 Cincinnati & 2013 Toronto, 24; T3. 2015 Rays, 2015 Rangers & 2009 Marlins, 23…the previous top marks for the Mariners were 34 players used (2014), 8 starters (2014, 2009, 2002, 2000) and 18 pitchers (2007)…research courtesy David W. Smith/retrosheet.
TODAY’S TILT…the Mariners, who’ve split their last two games following a season-high 5-game losing streak, play the 2nd (0-1) of 3 games at the Boston Red Sox…trip began in Washington (1-2) and also includes a 2-game set at Colorado (Mon.-Tue.)…Seattle was 3-4 on its just-completed homestand against Oakland (2-1) and Chicago (1-3)…today’s game will be televised live in HD on ROOT SPORTS NW and broadcast live on 710 ESPN Seattle and the Mariners Radio Network.
ODDS AND ENDS…Seattle lost last night, and is 1-6 in its last 7 games…are 4-7 in last 11, 8-11 in last 19 and 10-12 in the last 22…are 5-2 in home series, 2-6 in road series…are 19-20 in last 39 games and have won 20 of their last 42 after opening the season 1-6.…are 13-9 at home, but 8-19 on the road…23 of club’s first 38 games were played on road…are in midst (1-3) of a stretch of 15 of 26 on the road (thru 6/18).
- 7 UP – the Mariners are 7-1 when their starter works at least 7.0 innings this season.
- Early Leads – the Mariners have scored first in 21 (10-11) of their last 31 games, since April 20.
- Leadoff – Jean Segura is 14-for-33 (.424) with 1 double, 2 walks and 2 HBP when leading off a game.
MEMORIAL DAY UNIFORMS…for the first time the Mariners, and all MLB teams, are wearing their special Memorial Day uniforms & caps Saturday-Monday…it’s the first year uniforms are being worn all weekend…the right side of the caps feature five stars to represent the five branches of the military, while the stars are also stitched on the jerseys’ right sleeves…MLB will again donate its licensed uniform royalties to MLB Charities used to support programs for military veterans and their families.
FOR STARTERS…Rob Whalen will become the 12th different pitcher to make at least 1 start for the Mariners this season (also: Hernandez, Iwakuma, Paxton, Gallardo, Miranda, De Jong, Overton, Bergman, Weber, Gaviglio, Heston)…Seattle will become the first team in the Majors this season to employ 12 different starters…Cincinnati, Miami and Toronto have each used 9 different starters…the Red Sox are 1 of 9 clubs to use 8 different starters this season.
DAY DREAM BELIEVERS…Seattle has three players in the top-20 in AL Day Game Batting Average: Robinson Canó is 4th in the AL, at .408 (20×49) with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 12 RBI in 12 day games…Nelson Cruz is 8th at .360 (18×50) w/3 2B, 5 HR & 18 RBI in 15 G and Kyle Seager is 18th at .326 (15×46) w/5 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 12 RBI in 14 G…as a team, Seattle is 2nd in the AL, hitting .273 while BOS leads at .285.
GET SHORTY…Mariners shortstop Jean Segura was 3-for-4 yesterday…it was his 18th multi-hit effort of the season (in 37 games played)…in his last 29 games played (since returning from the 10-day disabled list on April 25) he is batting .354 (45-for-127) with 21 runs scored, 9 doubles, 3 homers & 17 RBI.
TRAVELIN’ MAN…LHP James Paxton made a rehab start last night with the Mariners AA affiliate, the Arkansas Travelers vs. Frisco…his line: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO, HR…55 pitches, 38 strikes.
LOOKS GOOD ON PAPER…the core of the Mariners line-up has had career success versus the Red Sox, with five guys posting averages above .294…Jean Segura leads the way at .385 (10×26) with 2 doubles and two triples…Kyle Seager checks in at .320 (47×147) w/4 2B, 3B, 7 HR, 20 RBI…Nelson Cruz is a .312 (87×279) hitter with 18 2B, 2 3B, 19 HR and 54 RBI…Robinson Canó is hitting .303 (216×713) with 57 doubles, 4 triples, 24 home runs and 114 RBI & Danny Valencia is at .294 (40×136) w/6 2B, 3B, 6 HR and 20 RBI.
CENTURY CLUB…Nelson Cruz homered Thursday in DC, and now has 99 home runs since joining Seattle in 2015…he’s looking to be the 13th player in Mariners history with 100 or more home runs…his 99 is currently tied with Ichiro for 13th on the all-time list…Ken Griffey Jr. (417) is the Mariners franchise leader, and Mariners hitting coach Edgar Martinez (309) is second…Cruz hit 44 homers in 2015, and had 43 last year…he needs a total of 28 this season to move into 9th on the franchise list (Kyle Seager is 8th with 130 homers and counting).
DOUBLE TROUBLE…Seattle has had 15 double plays turned against it over the last six games…have hit into at least one double play in each of the 6 games…the 15 double plays include 13 GIDP, a 5-3 line out double play and a CS K24…have grounded into 50 double plays this season, 4th most in the AL (BOS-54, HOU-54, TOR-51).
GO AHEAD…Nelson Cruz had his 12th go-ahead RBI of the season Thursday at the Nats, as his 3-run, sixth inning homer wiped out a 2-0 deficit in Seattle’s 4-2 win…Cruz is second in the American League in GA RBI, trailing only Albert Pujols (13)… Robinson Canó is tie-fourth in the AL with 10 go-ahead RBI.
SOUTHSIDE POWER…since joining the Mariners in 2015, Nelson Cruz has hit 36 of his 99 home runs against left-handed pitchers…in that span, nobody has hit more home runs against southpaws than Cruz…the next closest on the list are Chicago-AL’s Todd Frazier (26) and Seattle teammate Kyle Seager (24) who is tied with Chicago-NL’s Kris Bryant…Chris Carter, Mike Napoli, George Springer & Mark Trumbo all have 23 HR vs. LHP.
ROAD WEARY…the Mariners are 8-19 in 27 road games this season and have lost 7 of 8 and 9 of last 12 away from Safeco…that compares to a 13-9 mark at home…Seattle’s pitching is nearly a run worse per game on the road (5.20 ERA/133 ER in 230.0 IP) compared to home (4.35 ERA/99 ER in 205.0 IP)…meanwhile, Seattle’s offense averages 4.9 runs per game at home (107 R in 22 G) on a .254 average (183×720) compared to 3.89 runs per game (105 R in 27 G) on a .242 (226×933) average on the road.
Today in Mariners
· 1977 – Glenn Abbott outduels Mark “Bird” Fidrych for a 2-1 win in Detroit. This was Fidrych’s first start of the year after a 19-9 season that made him famous in 1976.
· 1981 – Mariners third baseman Lenny Randle got down on his hands and knees to blow a bunt foul against the Kansas City Royals at the Kingdome. Amos Otis was the KC batter. The play was ruled a hit.
· 1984 – The Mariners 6-1 win over the World Champion Detroit Tigers concluded one of the greatest weekends in club history. The three-game sweep began with a 7-2 win that snapped the Tigers AL record 17-game road win streak. The middle game was decided early as the Mariners jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the 1st inning and coasted to a 9-5 victory before a crowd of 41,342.
· 2003 – Randy Winn hits 5×5 (plus a walk) to tie club record with 5 hits. This ties his own career high.
· 2003 – Edgar Martinez goes 2×4 with 5 RBI off of 2 home runs. This is his 21st multi-home run game and his 19th 2 home run games.
· 2011 – Mariners come from behind to defeat the Yankees 4-3. All 4 runs scored on groundouts, a first in club history to score 4 or more runs without the benefit of a RBI hit or sac fly.
· 2013 – Aaron Harang tossed a 4-hit shutout, and Jason Bay and Michael Morse both hit 1st inning home runs to lead the Mariners to a 9-0 victory over the Padres on Memorial Day.
· 2015 – Nelson Cruz hit a 3-run home run into the fish tank in center at Tropicana Field with 2 out in the top of the 9th inning to break a scoreless tie and give the Mariners a 3-0 win and a sweep over Tampa Bay…Cruz’s blast backed a complete game shutout by Felix Hernandez, who struck out 8 and improved to 8-1 with a 1.91 ERA on the season…The Mariners swept the Rays in Tampa Bay for the first time since Sept. 18-20, 2000.
Upcoming Probable Starting Pitchers:
|Saturday||May 27||1:05 p.m.||at BOS||Rob Whalen (RHP)||Brian Johnson (LHP)|
|Sunday||May 28||10:30 a.m.||at BOS||Christian Bergman (RHP)||Rick Porcello (RHP)|
|Monday||May 29||12:10 p.m.||at COL||Sam Gaviglio (RHP)||Tyler Chatwood (RHP)|
|Tuesday||May 30||4:10 p.m.||at COL||Ariel Miranda (LHP)||Tyler Anderson (LHP)|