Two factors governed the evolution of women’s golf in BC. As the number of women golfers in different areas increased, ladies’ golf clubs formed. As soon as an area had about five women’s clubs, they united into a golf association. In 1933, there were 18 women’s clubs in BC who belonged to the CLGU. The national body encouraged them to form a separate provincial group called the BC Branch. In addition: all CLGU provincial competitions required an 18-hole golf course.
Golf in British Columbia began without any influence from golf in the east. In the fall of 1893, Harvey Combe returned from London and laid out the Victoria GC. Because his wife, Margaret, and daughter, Nora, played tennis in the summer, he encouraged them to play golf in the winter.
By 1895, nine women golfers at Victoria GC participated in the first BC Ladies’ Amateur Championship, held in conjunction with the second BC Men’s Amateur Championship.
In 1905, A.C. Flumerfelt donated a trophy to be presented to the annual champion of the BC Ladies Amateur.
At the 1913 Canadian Ladies Amateur, under the leadership of Miss Harvey, the women decided to form the Canadian Ladies Golf Union.
In BC, various women’s golf clubs began forming their own golf associations to conduct a regional championship.
Formation date for provincial branches were:
Quebec in 1921, Manitoba in 1922, the Maritimes in 1925, Ontario in 1926, Alberta in 1928, and British Columbia in 1933.
At the 1922 BC Men’s Amateur Championship, golf clubs in BC decided to unite under the British Columbia Golf Association (BCGA). This association conducted the BC Ladies’ Amateur.
The BC Branch consisted of 15 clubs (see appendix) in
two divisions: the Vancouver Island division and the Mainland division.
Vera Hutchings became the first BC woman to win the Canadian Ladies Closed Championship.
The Canadian Women’s Open and Closed Championships were hosted by Royal Colwood G&CC on Vancouver Island and Jericho Country Club on the Mainland.
The BC Branch conducted the first Junior Girls Championship.
The Mainland division divided into two parts, the Mainland division and the Interior division.
The BC Business Girls League formed in the Vancouver and district division.
Gayle Hitchens, from the Capilano G&CC, became the first BC woman to win the Canadian Ladies Amateur Championship.
The Penticton Golf Club hosted the first Ladies BC Championship to be held outside the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.
The Canadian Ladies Golf Union changed their name to the Canadian Ladies Golf Association (CLGA).
In 1973, 86 women’s golf clubs belonged to the CLGA BC Branch. To better serve the member clubs, the Branch decided to divide the province into nine districts.
District 1 – Victoria
Districts 2, 5, 8 – Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley
District 3 – Okanagan
District 4 – Kootenays
District 6 – Upper Island
District 7 – Northwest
District 9 – Northeast
The BC Branch conducted the first BC Senior Women’s Championship.
The founding clubs in 1933 for the CLGU BC Branch:
Gorge Vale GC
Maple Ridge GC
Marine Drive G&CC
Point Grey G&CC
Royal Colwood GC
Shaughnessy Heights GC
West Point GC
Your sports. Your teams. The ISN Daily Digest.
Sign up to the ISN Daily Digest and sit back while we pick the previous day’s best headlines and speed them straight to your inbox every morning.