- Eight of the Top 10-ranked players in the world remain in contention.
- Good friends Caroline Wozniacki and Agnieszka Radwanska, seeded No. 6 and No. 10 respectively, face off in a star-studded round of 16 duel. Wozniacki owns a 10-6 advantage in their prior contests, including their one meeting in 2017 so far in Doha. Both are former Rogers Cup champions, Wozniacki in 2010 and Radwanska in 2014.
- In another battle between Top 10 stars, No. 5 Elina Svitolina will take on No. 9 Venus Williams.
- No. 4 seed and Wimbledon champion Garbiñe Muguruza will be challenged by qualifier Ashleigh Barty, who has already won four matches in Toronto this week. Barty ousted Muguruza in the Birmingham semifinals on grass just a couple months ago.
- Defending champion Simona Halep looks to stay in the hunt for her second Canadian title versus Barbora Strycova, while No. 3 seed Angelique Kerber takes the court opposite Sloane Stephens.
- The inaugural Salesforce Tech and Tennis Day presented by ESET runs in the day session. This special event will bring together some of the top names from the technology, media, and sports fields to discuss the role of technology in sports. Hosted by TV host, author, and entrepreneur Amber Mac, featured speakers include Kirstine Stewart and Michele Romanow.
- For the first time in the history of Rogers Cup presented by National Bank, all matches were played in front of sold-out crowds during blockbuster Wednesday, both on Centre Court and National Bank Court.
- Four players battled their way into the third round after facing match point: Gaël Monfils, Denis Shapovalov, Diego Schwartzman and Alexander Zverev.
- After dropping only three games in his second-round match, Roger Federer will attempt to maintain his perfect record by winning his 17th consecutive match against David Ferrer.
- At only 18 years of age, Denis Shapovalov is the youngest player to reach the third round of a Masters 1000 tournament since Rafael Nadal at Miami in 2004.
- Rafael Nadal is only two wins away from retaking the world No. 1 ranking.
Your sports. Your teams. The ISN Daily Digest.
Sign up to the ISN Daily Digest and sit back while we pick the previous day’s best headlines and speed them straight to your inbox every morning.