Rowing Canada Aviron is pleased to announce the 2017-2024 Next Generation (NextGen) Athlete Strategy.
Following the 2016 Rio Olympic and Paralympic Games, Rowing Canada Aviron (RCA) underwent a significant shift in its organizational and high performance leadership. This organizational shift created the opportunity to review many components under the umbrella of High Performance.
In the category of ‘Development’, key stakeholder consultations took place to critically evaluate Rowing’s High Performance Athlete Development Pathway, including the Row To Podium – Talent Identification Program.
The consultation process affirmed the need to direct more focus towards the Next Gen rowers trending five (5) to eight (8) years from an Olympic/Paralympic podium performance. The shift will result in enhanced programming at a targeted stage in the pathway. This enhancement will not impede on programming in other pathways.
The fundamental revision required within RCA’s NextGen program, is a move from sequestered Talent Identification Programming, to talent identification conducted as an activity within the overall program. The program will foster the re-engagement and support of Canadian ‘rowing’ universities and high performing club programs. This engagement will come in the form of enhanced technical coaching capacity embedded within NextGen training environments located within identified Canadian universities and high performing clubs.
At the Junior or U19 level, the NextGen strategy aims to support and strengthen the roles of Clubs and Schools in developing athletes on the pathway through engaged programs and initiatives.
2017-2024 NextGen Strategy
• Row To Podium testing methodology utilized as a basis for athlete identification initiatives as well as ongoing HP athlete development monitoring, rather than isolated all-encompassing program.
• Support and promote sustainable and accountable regional partnerships (institution, club & school) and programs, where vibrant and competitive atmospheres are recognized
• Integration of additional high performance coaches into RCA’s High Performance Athlete Pathway, focused on progressing rowers five (5) to eight (8) years from an Olympic/Paralympic podium performance.
NextGen Program Objectives:
• To enhance and support coaches and athletes on the High Performance Pathway within a region.
• To positively impact and enhance up to five (5) strategically selected NextGen performance environments*.
These environments will be selected based on a Request for Proposal – NextGen Hub Criteria. RCA is currently accepting applications for NextGen Hubs.
*NextGen Hub environments will provide athletes access to an uncompromising culture of excellence, supported with optimal coach to athlete ratio and performance planning.
For a full report on the RCA NextGen Athlete Strategy and implementation plan click HERE.