Kamloops, BC—The Thompson Rivers University WolfPack cross country team is poised to host what they hope will become an annual event.
McArthur Island Golf Course will be the scene of their first ever invitational meet on Saturday (Sept 16). WolfPack head coach Carmin Mazzotta has this to say about the event:
- We are very fortunate to have use of the McArthur Island Golf Course for the TRU XC Invitational this Saturday. We’d like to thank Bill Bilton for generously allowing us to use the golf course for this event. It will be a true cross country championship-style course, with rolling hills, twists and turns through the trees, and some awesome loops for the athletes to run through.
- We are very actively trying to promote and grow the sport at the high school level. We are doing joint workouts with the Kamloops Track and Field Club high school runners twice a week, and we will be supporting an emerging high school cross country racing series this fall. The TRU XC Invitational isn’t just a dual meet between us and UBC Okanagan, it is a chance for high schoolers to have an early season race to kick-start their seasons as well.
- There is an excellent group of runners coming up from Vernon and the Okanagan thanks to John Machuga, who coaches high school and club athletes, as well as the UBC Okanagan university squad. Other schools from as far away as the Nechako Valley have expressed interest about coming to this race in future years.
- Many thanks to Runners Sole and the folks at Dirty Feet for volunteering their time to support this event and to help grow the youth movement for our sport in the community! Runners Sole is also sponsoring our athletes with a piece of apparel this year, and we are truly appreciative for that support.
- For our athletes, this is an early-season, “rust-buster” race. We are a ways off from the big races that we peak for, and are training hard right through this weekend, but it’s a chance for our group to test themselves and remember what it’s like to prepare for a race and get in that competitive mindset again.
The women’s 5 k race goes at 1 pm. The men’s is set for 2 pm. The public is invited to come out and cheer on the competitors.