Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Giants and Tri-City Americans each snagged two points this weekend in a double-header at the Langley Events Centre. Saturday night in front of 3146 fans, the Giants dropped a 4-3 decision to the visiting Americans. Detroit Red Wings prospect Michael Rasmussen had a goal and two assists for Tri-City while Jordan Topping added a goal and an assist. Dylan Plouffe responded with two assists for Vancouver while rookie goaltender Todd Scott was stellar in goal, albeit in a losing cause.




A night removed from a 6-3 loss, the Tri-City Americans came out firing. They outshot the Giants 15-4 in the first and might have had a lead were it not for the strong play of Todd Scott who turned away several ‘Grade A’ Tri-City chances. Scott finished the game with 33 saves and was named the game’s second star.


Scott’s heroics continued early in the second when he made a phenomenal glove save off Michael Rasmussen which came as a result of a three-on-one rush. Scott’s teammates would eventually reward his strong play at the 11:49 mark of the middle frame.


Milos Roman got the offense started for Vancouver with a shot from the high slot that found its way through traffic and over the blocker of Ams starter Patrick Dea. His second goal of the season was assisted by Dylan Plouffe and Ty Ronning.


Late in the period, Tri-City tied the game when Parker AuCoin scored unassisted at 17:42. The Giants adamantly argued that Todd Scott was interfered with on the play, but the referees signalled ‘good goal’ and the game was tied 1-1. Shots through 40 minutes 30-22 for Tri-City.


90 seconds into the final period Tri-City took their first lead of the night when 20-year-old Jordan Topping ripped a quick shot past Scott’s blocker from inside the left circle off the rush. Topping’s marker was set up by Michael Rasmussen and Roman Kalinichenko.


Back came the Giants with a pushback courtesy of rookie Cyle McNabb. The 17-year-old forward from Winnipeg pounced on a James Malm rebound in the slot, spun around and fired a low show past a diving Patrick Dea for his first ever WHL goal.


50 seconds later though the Ams grabbed their final lead of the game when Michael Rasmussen redirected home a Morgan Geekie pass from in close on a power play which finished one-for-four for Tri-City.


At 18:53, Maxwell James extended Tri-City’s lead to 4-2 when he scored his third of the season into an empty net with his team shorthanded. Brendan Semchuk countered with a power play marker for the Giants at 19:24, but the comeback bid ended there. Tri-City outshot Vancouver 37-34 and improved their record to an even 3-3. Saturday’s win was their first away from home.


With the loss the Giants record now sits at 2-3. They finished their four-game home stand with an even 2-2 record and will now head to the road for seven straight games beginning Tuesday in Seattle against the Thunderbirds.