LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western’s men’s hockey team will host Vancouver Island University in its home-opening contest Friday at the Langley Events Centre.
THE WEEKEND STORY
· The Spartans are coming off an impressive road weekend in which they opened their regular season with wins over Victoria (6-3) and VIU (5-1).
· Friday’s game will be a rematch of last Saturday’s tilt between VIU and TWU, which saw the Spartans outshoot the Mariners 31-23 en route to a four-goal win.
· Dirk de Waal (Lethbridge, Alta.) was named the BCIHL’s Player of the Week after he tallied four goals and added an assist in the Spartans two games. De Waal’s five points have him atop the BCIHL scoring race. With three goals and one assist, TWU’s Florian Niedermaier is tied for second in the league in points.
· VIU’s Gage Colpron scored the Mariners first goal in the BCIHL in last Saturday’s loss against TWU.
· Friday’s game will mark the first time TWU fans have seen their home team since the deciding Game 3 of last year’s BCIHL championship series, when the Spartans lost against Victoria. That night, more than 600 fans were in attendance for the Monday night game.
· Friday’s game will be the first time Spartans fans will see the Mariners, with VIU in their inaugural season in the BCIHL.
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (2-0)
BCIHL Standings: 1st
Last Weekend: Victoria (6-3 W), VIU (5-1 W)
Streak: 2 wins
Regular Season Form: W-W
VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS (0-1)
BCIHL Standings: 4th (tied)
Last Weekend: TWU (5-1 L)
Streak: 1 loss
Regular Season Form: L