Zack Andrusiak
Zack Andrusiak scored 5:04 into overtime Saturday night at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett to give the Seattle Thunderbirds a 5-4 victory over the Everett Silvertips.
Andrusiak took a pass from Reece Harsch in the neutral zone and split two Everett defenders. Andrusiak beat Everett goalie with a backhand shot over the blocker.
The first-round playoff series is tied 1-1.
Everett went in front 1-0 at 2:17 of the first period on a goal from Martin Fasko-Rudas. Gianni Fairbrother had the only assist.
Seattle quickly tied the game 1-1 on the power play at 4:15 of the first. Turner Ottenbreit passed the puck from the right point to Austin Strand at the left point. Strand one-timed the pass and beat Everett goalie Carter Hart over the glove. Donovan Neuls had the second assist.
The T-Birds took a 2-1 lead 2:18 after their first goal. Ottenbreit carried the puck up the ice and passed to Sami Moilanen who entered the zone on the left wing Moilanen took a shot from the left circle that rebounded off Hart to Wedman in the slot. Wedman put back the rebound and the puck came off Hart right to Moilanen to the left of the goal. Moilanen put the puck into an empty net as Hart was down from making the save on Wedman.
Midway through the first period an Everett shot hit the right post and came into the slot. The T-Birds carried the puck up the ice and held some zone time until the puck got trapped under a T-Bird in a board battle behind the Everett net. The referees went to the scorer’s table for a video review of the Everett shot. After several minutes the referees waved no goal.
Everett outshot Seattle 18-14 in the first period.
Everett tied the game 3-3 33 seconds into the second period on a five-on-three goal by Garrett Pilon. Kevin Davis and Patrick Bajkov had the assists.
Ottenbreit gave the T-Birds a 3-2 lead with a power-play goal at 13:23 of the second. Neuls passed the puck to Ottenbreit at center ice and he beat Hart with a slap shot over the glove. Wedman had the second assist.
Pilon tied the game 3-3 at 17:11 of the second off an assist from Reece Vitelli.
Everett’s Riley Sutter kneed T-Birds defenseman Jake Lee with two minutes left in the second period. Sutter received a five-minute kneeing major and a game misconduct.
The Silvertips outshot the T-Birds 11-8 in the second period and had a 29-22 advantage in shots after two periods.
Mike MacLean put the T-Birds in front 4-3 at 7:35 of the third period. MacLean won a battle along the right boards and brought the puck behind the Everett net. MacLean dropped the puck for Wedman who charged the net from behind the goal line. Wedman put the puck into the low slot to MacLean. MacLean put the puck over Hart’s blocker for the go-ahead goal.
Everett pulled Hart with 1:30 left in the game for an extra attacker. Pilon was able to put back his own rebound with 54 seconds left to tie the game 4-4.
The Silvertips had a 46-31 advantage in shots after 60 minutes.
Seattle goalie Liam Hughes had 45 saves on 49 shots.
Hart had 28 saves on 33 shots.