Sean Melvin

Vancouver Whitecaps FC (10W-9L-7D) scored three unanswered goals in the second half to claim a vital 3-2 victory against San Jose Earthquakes (3W-14L-8D) on Saturday night at Avaya Stadium.

Trailing 2-0, the ‘Caps made a double sub early in the second half and proceeded to erase the deficit with three goals in the span of 10 minutes. Yordy Reyna and Kei Kamara led the way for Vancouver, each recording a goal and an assist. Cristian Techera also found the back of the net.

It was Vancouver’s first-ever win in San Jose and it extended their unbeaten run to five matches in Major League Soccer competition, including three straight results on the road. The victory was also the ‘Caps first-ever on the road after having been down by at least two goals in MLS competition.

This was a wild one from the get go.

San Jose took an early lead in the seventh minute, when Jahmir Hyka collected a ‘Caps clearance at the top of the box and fired a half-volley into the bottom left corner.

And they doubled their lead through a Magnus Eriksson penalty kick in the 18th minute after Marcel de Jong clipped Danny Hoesen just inside the area, with referee Baldomero Toledo pointing to the spot following video review.

It was a disappointing first half for Vancouver, but the tables turned after the break.

The ‘Caps scored three straight goals following the introduction of midfielders Aly Ghazal and Nicolas Mezquida early in the second half. First, Reyna curled in a free kick from 25 yards in the 59th minute after drawing the foul himself.

Then, Kamara played a ball in behind to Techera, who cut back onto his right foot and finished calmly to level the score just two minutes later.

And finally, in the 68th minute, the ‘Caps got in behind again thanks to a long ball from Aaron Maund and this time Reyna played a ball across the face of goal to Kamara, who tapped in the eventual game-winner from close range.

There were some nervy moments in the dying stages but the ‘Caps defended with their lives, including an acrobatic clearance from Alphonso Davies, to secure the three points.