Earlier this week, the NFL outlined five ways the Seahawks can clinch a playoff spot this weekend, and the first of those five scenarios required a Seahawks win on Sunday night against the Kansas City Chiefs combined with a Washington loss or tie against the Tennessee Titans.
Well, with Washington falling 25-16 to the Titans on Saturday, the Seahawks can now secure a postseason berth if they beat the Chiefs on Sunday Night Football at CenturyLink Field.
Washington’s loss opens up another potential, albeit less likely, path to the playoffs for Seattle. A Seahawks tie against the Chiefs coupled with Washington’s loss as well as a loss or tie by the Philadelphia Eagles this weekend would also get the Seahawks to the playoffs for the seventh time in nine seasons under head coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider. The Eagles face the Houston Texans at 10 a.m. PT on Sunday, while the Seahawks kick off at 5:20 p.m. PT.
Here’s another look at the five ways the Seahawks could clinch a playoff spot this weekend:
- Seattle win and Washington loss or tie.
- Seattle win or tie and Minnesota loss.
- Seattle win and Seattle clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Washington.
- Seattle win and Minnesota tie and Seattle clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over Minnesota.
- Seattle tie and Washington loss and Philadelphia loss or tie.