UFC® makes its fifth stop in Vancouver with a blockbuster clash of lightweight contenders featuring two of MMA’s most exciting fighters, as No. 4 ranked Cowboy Cerrone faces No. 5 Justin Gaethje. Plus, former light heavyweight title challenger and No.10 ranked Glover Teixeira goes for his third consecutive win against dangerous finisher and No. 14 Nikita Krylov. UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: COWBOY vs. GAETHJE will take place live from Rogers Arena on Saturday, September 14 and will air live on TSN and RDS channels.
A former lightweight title challenger and perennial fan favorite, Cerrone (36-12 1NC, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M., USA) has delivered some of the most spectacular fights in UFC history. Throughout his storied career, he has netted thrilling victories over Al Iaquinta, Edson Barboza, Mike Perry, Matt Brown and Rick Story. Cerrone now looks to remain undefeated in Canada and continue his ascent up the 155-pound rankings against one of the division’s most dangerous competitors.
Known as “The Highlight,” Gaethje (20-2, fighting out of Arvada, Colo., USA) has proven to be among the most exciting fighters on the UFC roster. In only five appearances, he has taken home six Fight Night bonuses. During his UFC tenure, he has delivered incredible wins over Edson Barboza, Michael Johnson and James Vick. Gaethje now aims to earn his third consecutive victory over one of MMA’s most respected athletes and further stake his claim as a lightweight title threat.
A 17-year MMA veteran, Teixeira (29-7, fighting out of Danbury, Conn. by way of Governador Valadares, Brazil) has fought the who’s who of MMA. Known for his heavy hands and punishing grappling attack, he has picked up impressive victories against former UFC light heavyweight champions Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. Currently riding a two-fight win streak, he is now poised to stop yet another surging contender.
An unpredictable and dynamic finisher, Krylov (26-6, fighting out of Donetsk, Ukraine) has yet to go to a judges’ decision in 32 MMA bouts. Equally dangerous with his striking as he is on the mat, Krylov has delivered highlight-reel finishes against Ovince Saint Preux, Ed Herman, Walt Harris, Francimar Barroso and Fabio Maldonado. He now hopes to use Teixeira as a stepping stone to crack the light heavyweight division’s top 10.
Announced bouts on the card include:
- KO artist and No. 11 ranked middleweight contender Uriah Hall (15-9, fighting out of Queens, N.Y., USA by way of Kingston, Jamaica) takes on submission ace and No. 13 Antonio Carlos Junior (11-3, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla., USA by way of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- No. 13 ranked heavyweight Marcin Tybura (17-5, fighting out of Uniejow, Poland) faces rising No. 15 Augusto Sakai (13-1, fighting out of Curitiba, Brazil)
- No. 14 middleweight contender David Branch (22-6, fighting out of Brooklyn, N.Y., USA) hopes to rebound against gritty Andrew Sanchez (12-4, fighting out of Montreal, Canada by way of Belleville, Ill., USA)
- No. 15 light heavyweight contender Misha Cirkunov (14-5, fighting out of Toronto, Canada by way of Riga, Latvia) aims to slow the momentum of undefeated prospect Jim Crute (10-0, fighting out of Bendigo, Australia)
- In a clash on undefeated bantamweights, Canadian Cole Smith (7-0, fighting out of Squamish, B.C., Canada) takes on Miles Johns (8-0, fighting out of Dallas, Tex., USA)
- Kyle Prepolec (12-6, fighting out of Windsor, Ont., Canada) takes on Austin Hubbard (10-3, fighting out of Denver, Colo., USA) in a battle of lightweight prospects
- Heavyweight Todd Duffee (9-3, by way of Boca Raton, Fla., USA) returns from a four-year hiatus against Jeff Hughes (10-2, fighting out of Independence, Ohio, USA)
- Louis Smolka (15-6, fighting out of Kapolei, Hawaii, USA) faces Ryan MacDonald (10-1, fighting out of North Platte, Neb., USA) in an exciting bantamweight bout
For the latest information on additional bouts for this event, please visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.
Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: COWBOY vs. GAETHJE go on sale Friday, July 26 at 10 a.m. PT. Tickets are available for purchase at ticketmaster.ca. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club® members have the opportunity to purchase tickets today via the website www.ufcfightclub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Thursday, July 25 starting at 10 a.m. PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: COWBOY vs. GAETHJE will air live from Rogers Arena on TSN and RDS channels at 5 p.m. PT on Saturday, September 14, with televised prelims beginning at 3 p.m. PT. Exclusive UFC Fight Pass prelims kick off at 2 p.m. PT. Doors open at 1 p.m. PT.