The mission of the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Council (I·SPARC) is to improve the health outcomes of Indigenous people across British Columbia by supporting and encouraging physically active communities. The programs delivered by the I·SPARC are designed to build capacity and increase access to sport, recreation and physical activity in First Nations, Métis Chartered Communities, Aboriginal Friendship Centres, schools and other delivery agencies throughout BC.
In fulfilling the responsibility to deliver programs that create opportunities for Indigenous athletes and coaches to compete in elite competition, I·SPARC is assembling the core members of its Mission Staff that will support Team BC’s participation at the Halifax 2020 North American Indigenous Games (2020 NAIG). Accordingly, I·SPARC is seeking a full-time Communications Coordinator who, under the guidance of the Team BC Chef de Mission and the Manager, Communications & Premier’s Awards, will develop and deliver all aspects of Team BC’s communications plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the day-to-day internal/external communications and marketing activities of Team BC for NAIG
- Support communications activities for Team BC – National Aboriginal Hockey Championships (NAHC) program
- Create and maintain a strong brand profile for Team BC
- Develop publications, manage website, social media and oversee merchandise
- Coordinate media and public affairs activities to promote Team BC
- Prepare press statements and articles for internal/external communications ensuring outputs are of a high standard
- Produce final report and evaluation of Team BC program for communications and marketing
- Help lead the communications activities and communications support team of the Team BC Mission Staff during Games time at 2020 NAIG
- Other related duties as required
Competencies and Requirements
- Post-secondary degree/diploma with experience in a communications, marketing or journalism
- Experience in project management with a proven track record of delivering on objectives
- Applied knowledge of BC’s Indigenous communities and their physical activity and health related needs
- Experience of developing and implementing media, advocacy or marketing campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and within a small dynamic team
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Ability to manage a complex workload and work to tight deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, publishing and design software
- Willingness to maintain a flexible work schedule and available to travel when required
- Valid driver’s license and access to vehicle
- Successful completion of criminal record and vulnerable sector checks
- Compliance with Team BC Code of Conduct
The BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres (BCAAFC) currently serves as the official Host Agency of I·SPARC. Accordingly, the Team BC Communications Coordinator will be employed by the BCAAFC.
Term: Temporary full-time employment: September 2019 to August 30, 2020
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Location: Must be a BC resident. Candidate must have own office space and laptop.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references no later than 5:00 pm PST, Wednesday, August 28, 2019 via the online application form: https://aboriginalsportbc.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to qualified applicants of Indigenous ancestry.
5:00 pm (PST), Wednesday, August 28, 2019
via the online application form: